Men’s tennis continues to roll; ‘Cats win 7th straight match

The Arizona men’s tennis team may not expend much energy thinking about statistics, rankings, and streaks, but the team sure look good.

In their seventh consecutive win, the No. 35 Wildcats defeated No. 42 Fresno State 4-3 on the road, a win made even more remarkable by the fact that Arizona lost the doubles point and first two singles matches, and trailed 0-3 at one point.

“”It’s that the guys have this never-give-up, never-say-die attitude, and they fight until the end,”” said UA head coach Tad Berkowitz. “”We were out of the match, Fresno State was rolling on us. … The guys continued to fight until the end. It was an unbelievable match, as a coach, to watch.””

In doubles play, Ravid Hazi and Francois VanderMerwe were defeated 8-4, followed by Andres Arango and Andres Carrasco, who were taken down 9-7 (7-5).

The duo of Jay Goldman and Pat Metham provided the day’s lone win on the doubles front as they took down the Bulldogs’ Tejesvi Veerepalli and Taylor Leiby 8-5.

When Betham and Carrasco fell to their respective singles opponents, each succeeding match became important for the Wildcats. Goldman, Arango, Hazi, and Jason Zafiros were all taken down to the wire in their singles matches, yet all were successful in the end.

“”We were down 0-3 and with all the other matches, we needed to win four in a row,”” Berkowitz said. “”We had Arango, Hazi, Goldman, and Zafiros, and all four guys needed to win. They did a great job focusing on their own matches. Even the guys that lost, they had a great attitude and they fought hard.””

The team’s trust dynamic has become a recurring theme this season, and both players and coaches have attributed the season’s success to the strength of that trust.

“”What happened early on in the year is that we had such a strong schedule early in the season and we came up with a couple good, close wins early on,”” Berkowitz said. “”That gave the guys focus. Knowing their teammates were getting the job done next to them, it gave them confidence.””