Notable senior athletes

Baseball

Pitcher Brad Mills went from a walk-on tryout his freshman year to developing into one of Arizona’s top arms. His nine wins tie for the team lead, and his 79 strikeouts are second only to Preston Guilmet in the Pac-10.

Outfielder Bill Rhinehart has been with Arizona baseball since his freshman year. He’s currently hitting .339 with 41 RBIs after 43 games.

Men’s Basketball

Point guard Mustafa Shakur started at point guard all four years at Arizona, finishing second all-time in assists.

Forward Ivan Radenovic played for three and half years after coming over from Serbia and started every game of the 2006-07 season, while leading the team in rebounding.

Women’s Basketball

Guard Joy Hollingsworth played two seasons at Arizona, starting all 32 games her senior season and leading the team in points.

Guard Linda Pace was the only four-year senior on the team and earned Pac-10 All-Academic honorable mention honors her junior and senior years.

Football

Quarterback Adam Austin, backup for Willie Tuitama, played in seven games in the 2006 season, passing for 517 yards and two touchdowns.

Kicker Nick Folk was 15-for-20 on field goal attempts along with his longest punt of 78 yards. He went to the Dallas Cowboys in the sixth round of the NFL Draft (178th overall).

Wide receiver Syndric Steptoe was selected in the seventh round of the NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns (234th overall).

Safety Michael Johnson played two seasons for the Wildcats, highlighted by a three-interception game against Oregon State his junior season.

Defensive lineman Marcus Smith played in all 12 games and was second on the team in sacks (three) during his redshirt senior year.

Men’s Golf

Brian Prouty was named the No. 1 golfer nationally in March and received second-team All-Pac-10 honors.

Nathan Tyler earned All-Pac-10 honorable mention honors and recorded the best individual finish (tied for ninth) at the 2007 Pac-10 Championships.

Women’s Golf

Rachel Gavin walked on the team in 2002 and has played for Arizona since the 2003-2004 season.

Gymnastics

Aubrey Kelly broke her foot Feb. 12 but came back for the Pac-10 Championships, in which she posted a 9.800 on bars.

Jamie Holton was one of three Gymcats to compete at the 2007 Pac-10 Championships and was named to the floor all-Pacific 10 Conference team.

Softball

Center fielder Caitlin Lowe broke the all-time Arizona stolen bases record (148 swipes) and now has 151. She leads the team in batting average, hitting .438 through 48 games played.

Shortstop Kristie Fox is a finalist for the 2007 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Award with Lowe. She has started all 49 games so far this season and leads the team in RBIs with 54.

Second baseman Chelsie Mesa hit a home run in Game 1 of the Women’s College World Series against Northwestern. She has the second-best batting average (.365) on the team.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

Adam Ritter broke four school records at the 2007 NCAA Championships and claimed an individual title in the 200-yard individual medley to lead the men to a third-place finish.

Women’s Swim and Dive

Swimmer Whitney Myers led the women to their best finish (second place) at the NCAAs with an individual crown in the 200y IM.

Diver Megan MacDonald has been with the Wildcats since her freshman year. She placed in the 10-meter platform and 1m springboard events at the Pac-10 Championships.

Women’s Tennis

Kasia Jakowlew had a 7-2 doubles record with her partner, junior Camelia Todorova, during the fall season.

Men’s Track and Field

Decathlete Jake Arnold was a national champion last year and, as of May 3, leads the Pac-10 in the decathlon with 7,946 points.

Thrower Adam Kuehl is currently fifth in the shot put and third in the discus in the Pac-10.

Long-distance runner Obed Mutanya is fourth in the Pac-10 the 5,000-meter and fifth in the 10,000m.

Women’s Track and Field

Sprinter Marquita Taylor was part of the school record-breaking 4×100-meter relay team with a time of 44.58 in 2006.

Volleyball

Setter Stephanie Butkus led the team with 1,260 assists and 11.56 assists per game during the 2006 season.

– compiled by Melissa Krueger