Icecats welcome Scranton with shaky goaltending

Icecats center Matt Conover pushes the puck up ice during the teams 6-1 win over St. Louis Saturday night at the Tucson Convention Center. Minus a number of key defensemen, Arizona hosts Scranton tonight.
    Icecats center Matt Conover pushes the puck up ice during the team’s 6-1 win over St. Louis Saturday night at the Tucson Convention Center. Minus a number of key defensemen, Arizona hosts Scranton tonight.

Sixteen. That’s the number of goals the Arizona men’s club hockey team has given up in its last four games.

The No. 15 Icecats (11-8) hope to right their defensive woes tonight and tomorrow against Scranton (4-15).

“”They’re a very tough team,”” Icecats head coach Leo Golembiewski said of the Royals. “”Most of their games have been won or lost by one or two goals. We’re going to have our hands full.””

Goalies Luke Edwall and Nick Boddy have struggled equally in the last few weeks despite usually being solidin the net.

“”Goaltending has been interesting recently,”” Golembiewski said. “”It has been pretty mediocre of late.””

Boddy, a sophomore, has a 3.48 goals-against average this season, while Edwall sports a 3.88 GAA.

Edwall, a junior, gave up five goals in his last start Friday against St. Louis.

Some of the problems with the goaltending can be credited to shuffling in the Icecats’ defensive personnel.

Against St. Louis, they were down two men, junior Kevin West and freshman Zach Cherney, to injuries.

West remains out this weekend, and he’ll be joined by freshman Austin Capobianco and junior Max Sliwinski, who will each be serving a one-game suspension for their roles in two separate fights against St. Louis.

When asked if the rest of the defense will be ready to cope with the losses, Golembiewski responded, “”They have to be, it’s part of the game.””

Golembiewski has moved sophomore wing J.P. Hansen back to defense and may move freshman Zach Sampson as well to help cope with the absences.

The offense also looks to step up production, as it waits for forwards Craig Irwin and Matt Conover to get their first points of 2007.

Scranton is also eager for a change of fortunes after a number of heartbreaking losses, the most recent to No. 2 Penn State, 3-1.

Arizona wing Scott Marshall said the Icecats must start building momentum for a playoff run. The postseason begins on Feb. 28.

“”I know (our record) looks bad,”” Marshall said of Arizona’s 11-8 start, “”but there’s a lot of games up ahead of us, and we can give it a good push at the end of the season..””