Police Beat: Feb. 8

Driving Miss Mary Jane

A University of Arizona Police Department officer made a traffic stop at the corner of Sixth Street and Warren Avenue on Jan. 31 at 1:29 a.m.

The officer clocked the vehicle going 37 mph in a 30 mph zone.

After being pulled over, as the driver rolled down the window, the officer could smell marijuana coming from the vehicle.

There were four passengers in the vehicle, all of which identified themselves upon request with driver’s licenses. However, when the officer asked to search the driver’s vehicle, the driver declined.

The officer called for assistance from UAPD regarding the marijuana. When the second officer responded, they helped to detain the non-UA affiliated driver and passengers while the original officer searched the vehicle.

The officer found four prescription bottles containing marijuana, a glass pipe, cigar paper and a cigar roller on the front passenger seat in a blue backpack.

The officer also found a purse with a prescription bottle containing marijuana.

In a search of the car’s trunk, the officer found additional prescription bottles with marijuana.

One of the passengers, a minor, admitted to obtaining marijuana from the driver and smoking it prior.

The driver was arrested on the scene for possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and contribution to the delinquency of a minor.

The female minor was cited for possession of marijuana and released to the custody of her parents on scene.

On the ride over to Pima County Adult Detention Facility, the officer asked if UAPD should hold the blue backpack found in the vehicle for the driver to claim later.

The driver asked the officer to do so, confirming that the backpack was indeed his.

The driver was also warned for speeding.

Parking permit custody battle

UAPD received a call to preserve the peace on Jan. 31 at 11:04 a.m.

A male UA graduate student called in regarding his Zone 1 parking permit.

The man told the responding officer that he wanted it back from his ex-girlfriend who refused to return it.

The officer contacted Parking and Transportation Services and confirmed that the parking pass in question was male student’s.

The officer notified the ex-girlfriend that the man wanted the parking pass returned.

The woman agreed to meet the officer at a parking lot on First Street.

The woman gave the parking permit in question to the officer, who double-checked the number of the pass to the information obtained through Parking and Transportation Services.

The officer placed the parking permit in UAPD custody and contacted the man to inform him of how to obtain the permit from UAPD headquarters.

Whatcha gonna do when they come for you

A non-UA affiliated woman was arrested during a routine traffic stop on Jan. 31 around 2:30 p.m.

A UAPD officer was monitoring traffic on Sixth Street when the officer observed a vehicle traveling at 44 mph in a 35 mph zone.

The officer pulled the vehicle over at 6th Street and Tucson Boulevard and was able to identify the driver using her Arizona driver’s license and tattoo.

A records check on the driver showed that the woman had an outstanding warrant for an arrest in Maricopa County for failure to appear on a charge of credit card theft.

The officer arrested the woman for the previous felony charge and booked her into Pima County Jail.

The woman’s vehicle, with permission, was parked at Sixth Street and Tucson Boulevard.

Employee dings UA vehicle

A UA employee, driving a UA vehicle, collided into a pole outside of the parking lot next to McKale Center and the Hillenbrand Aquatic Center on Jan. 31 at 1:57 a.m.

The employee was attempting to drive through two poles while crossing over the pedestrian walkway.

The vehicle incurred damage to the front right bumper, however no paint was transferred.

Because the accident occurred while the employee was on the clock, the employee returned to work after submitting the accident report to UAPD.