Police Beat

A man tried to break into a vehicle in a parking lot at East First Street and North Vine Avenue at 9:50 p.m. Saturday.

The person who reported the incident said the man got into a red Chevrolet Suburban and drove away to the northwest corner of the lot.

An officer responded to the area and did not find the man.

The man who reported it said he heard a loud noise while removing items from his parked vehicle on East Second Street. He looked toward the sound and saw the man looking at him while standing next to a black BMW.

The man crouched down and moved to the red Suburban, which was backed into the space in front of the BMW.

As the Suburban drove off, the reporting man moved to the BMW and saw it had a damaged window. It appeared that the man had placed a flat-tipped screwdriver in the lower-right corner of the driver’s window and applied enough pressure to shatter it.

The window was held together by the window tint. There were no usable prints.

At 1:14 a.m. Sunday, another officer stopped a Suburban matching the description of the one that was driven off. A man who matched the suspect’s description exited the driver’s seat and moved away from the vehicle.

The officer spoke with the man, as well as the vehicle’s front and rear passengers. They claimed not to know one another.

The reporter arrived and said the Suburban matched the one he saw previously. He said the driver looked familiar, but he could not positively identify him as the man he saw before.

The driver denied a request to search the vehicle. There was nothing in plain view inside the vehicle to connect it to the damage to the BMW or to indicate that it was being used to steal items from vehicles.

The three individuals left in the vehicle.

Five students were arrested as minors in consumption of alcohol at Cochise Residence Hall, 1018 E. South Campus Drive at 12:57 a.m. on Saturday.

An officer responded to the building’s courtyard and made contact with a group of individuals sitting at a table who a resident assistant said were smoking marijuana.

The group consisted of five men and one woman, who appeared to be smoking cigarettes. There was a strong odor of intoxicants coming from the general area surrounding the table.

When the officer asked if anyone in the group had been smoking marijuana, they all denied it but admitted to consuming alcohol earlier in the night.

Everyone in the group, except for one of the men, said they had consumed numerous bottles of beer at 11:30 p.m.

The four men and woman were cited, released and referred to the Dean of Students Office.

A woman was arrested as an underage person with spirituous liquor in the body at Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., 2:27 a.m. Saturday.

At 2:09 a.m., an officer responded to the dormitory in reference to a woman passed out in the second-floor hallway. Upon arrival to the hallway, the officer made contact with two RAs who were watching a woman lying on the floor passed out. She was wearing a maroon and white bikini and was barefoot.

They said she was not a resident of Coronado and did not have any identification on her.

An officer attempted to wake the girl several times. When she woke up, she said she was at a party at the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house, 1510 N. Vine Ave., where she drank several beers.

A friend put her in a cab, and she went to Coronado to spend the night with a couple of her friends, but they were not home.

She said she drank beer from a can, not an open cup, and that she had drunk more alcohol before without passing out. She had bloodshot eyes and an odor of intoxicants on her breath.

She refused medical attention.

She was cited, released and taken to her room at La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave.