Arizona men’s swimming caps undefeated season at ASU

The Arizona men’s swimming team remained undefeated on the season after closing its head-to-head regular season with a victory over in-state rival ASU on Saturday in Tempe, Ariz.

The men had a prolific dual season, defeating No. 2 Texas, No. 3 Stanford, No. 5 USC, No. 6 California, No. 14 Iowa and topping the Sun Devils, 188.5-109.5, to conclude their regular season perfection.

Arizona’s seniors carried the men’s squad as Cory Chitwood won the 500-meter freestyle, Austen Thompson won the 200-meter individual medley and Nick Hadinger won the 200-meter backstroke.

The Wildcat women were also victorious, beating the Sun Devils 170-114 — giving Arizona momentum that will carry it into the Pac-12 Conference Tournament and the NCAA Championships.

Junior Lauren Smart placed an NCAA “A” cut time in the 100-meter backstoke and won the 100-meter fly. Sophomore Margo Geer led the women’s squad and won three individual events — the 200-meter freestyle, 100-meter freestyle and 50-meter freestyle.

Wildcat swimmers, both men and women, swam strong and won decisively. Arizona won 21 out of 24 events and swept the Sun Devils in all four team relay events.

The women will compete in the Pac-12 championship on Feb. 22 in Seattle. The men will start the Pac-12 championship on Feb. 29 in Long Beach, Calif.

— Christopher Cegielski