Truck slams La Paz

Police officers section off an area by La Paz Residence Hall where a truck crashed into the building late Wednesday night. The driver was taken to a hospital with undisclosed injuries.

A vehicle struck the east side of La Paz Residence Hall Wednesday night around 10:30 p.m. after the driver suffered a medical ailment and lost control, police said.

Officer Frank Romero of the University of Arizona Police Department said that the truck was driving westbound on Fourth Street when the driver suffered what is being called an “”unknown medical condition,”” struck two vehicles and then pulled into the parking lot behind La Paz.

“”At some point, (he) lost consciousness and did a slow roll towards the La Paz building here on the east side,”” Romero said.

Reyes De La Torre, a pre-business sophomore, said he was in his room on the second floor of the dorm when the truck hit the building.

“”I came back from the shower and I was turning on my printer, and I just heard peeling out and I thought someone was screwing around,”” De La Torre said. “”And I just heard a boom and my whole room kind of shook a little bit, and I looked out and I just see a truck with its wheels still going.””

Freshman Melinda Gravitt was in her first floor room roughly ten feet to the left of where the vehicle struck the building.

“”I was sitting at my desk, and then all of the sudden I hear this really loud noise, and the wall kind of shook a little bit,”” she said. “”It was the weirdest thing because the first thing that came into my head was a bulldozer hit the building.””

There were four other passengers in the vehicle, including a small child and a toddler. Romero said the driver was taken to the hospital where the extent of his injuries is not currently known. No one else was hurt.