Sorority celebrates work in community

Zeta Phi Beta is celebrating its traditional “”Finer Womanhood Week”” sponsored by its national organization to promote the sorority’s ideals this week.

Finer Womanhood Week is a weeklong celebration during which the sorority hosts events that convey its founding principles and shows its members are active in the community, said Marisa Spalding, secretary of Zeta Phi Beta.

“”It’s a week where we get our name out there and we show people in the community what we are all about, ’cause the ideals of our sorority are finer womanhood, scholarship, service and sisterly love,”” Spalding said.

This week’s events include a study group, a bowling night and community service. The women will also make Valentine’s Day cards for the children at the University Medical Center on Saturday morning.

All events are open to the public.

Events to promote finer womanhood have been put on by the sorority since 1920, when the organization was founded.

“”I think (finer womanhood week) is a really good idea just because some of the events, like the study hours, serve … for the betterment of all the women on campus,”” said Adrianna Griego, a member of Sigma Lambda Gamma, the cousin sorority to Zeta Phi Beta.

Jessica Mena, a pre-nursing sophomore and Sigma Lambda Gamma member, said she is interested in attending the community service event because it will be rewarding to help make the kids at the children’s ward feel happy and to let them know that the campus community is supporting them.

Astrid Henao said she supports Zeta Phi Beta, even though she’s not part of the organization, because the sorority’s events focus on empowering women.

Henao said she will probably help Zeta Phi Beta members make Valentine’s Day cards Saturday.

“”The children love the presence of other people,”” Henao said. “”It’s nice to know people in the community care.””