Police Beat: Dec. 3

Wear sunglasses when into the sunrise

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the intersection of Speedway Boulevard and Park Avenue on Nov. 23 at 9 a.m. in reference to a report of a pedestrian who was struck by a moving vehicle.

Upon arrival, officers made contact with the pedestrian, who was not seriously injured, and the driver of a Ford pickup truck.

According to police, the driver of the Ford was turning eastbound onto Speedway Boulevard from Park Avenue as the pedestrian was walking northbound across Speedway Boulevard in the crosswalk. The driver of the Ford estimated that he was travelling approximately three miles per hour and had not seen the pedestrian because the sun had been directly in his eyes. The pedestrian suffered several superficial injuries, including a cut on the top of her right foot and an abrasion on the inside of her left ankle, and she complained of soreness in her left wrist.

Tucson Fire Department emergency medical personnel arrived on scene but the woman refused medical treatment.

The driver was cited on charges of failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. He was released on scene.

Employee reports harassing phone calls seven months too late

UAPD dispatch was contacted on Nov. 23 at 9:53 a.m. by an employee of the university who wished to report a series of harassing phone calls.

The employee claimed that he had begun receiving the phone calls at both his personal and work phone numbers and also claimed that the same caller had been trying to contact his colleagues.

The caller claimed to work for the “”Legal Affidavit Company”” and told the man that he was in “”big legal trouble.”” The caller wanted the man to divulge personal information over the phone in order to resolve the legal issues.

The man told police that he knew of no legal issues in which he was involved and stated that the caller refused to give him any information about the company other than its name.

He then reported that the caller claimed that his name was “”Bruce Hanson,”” and told the man he would call as many times as he wanted. The man then told police that the phone calls had begun about seven months prior and had ceased about a week after they started.

The man gave police the number that he had received the calls from, but attempts to contact the company were unsuccessful.

Burglars unsuccessfully try to pry open metal door

UAPD officers responded to Building 124 at 1126 E. Sixth St. on Nov. 23 at 1:28 p.m. in reference to an attempted burglary.

Upon arrival, officers met with a Facilities Management employee who told them that some time between 10 a.m. on Nov. 20 and 12 p.m. on Nov. 23, an unknown person or persons attempted to gain entry into the building by forcing open a metal roll-up door.

The employee stated that whomever attempted to access the building was unsuccessful, but was able to cause more than $300 worth of damage to the door.

Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Failure to display registration leads to citation and impound

UAPD officers when they observed a vehicle operating without displaying a valid registration on Nov. 24 at 2:40 p.m.

Officers initiated a traffic stop at Speedway Boulevard and Euclid Avenue and made contact with the driver, who identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license.

A records check revealed that the vehicle as registered in the state of Arizona and that the registration was current until June of 2010. The records check also revealed that the man’s license had been suspended in September of 2008.

He was cited on charges of driving on a suspended license. His vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound and he was released on scene.

1987 Toyota Camry stolen on campus

UAPD officers were dispatched to a parking lot on Nov. 24 at 6:47 p.m. in reference to a stolen vehicle.

Upon arrival, officers met with a university employee who told them that earlier in the day, he had parked and secured his 1987 Toyota Camry in the lot southwest of Skyview Apartments.

When he returned at 6:45 p.m., he noticed that his vehicle was missing.

There was no broken glass on the ground. A witness told officers that he had seen a black, late-’90s BMW or Lexus drive westbound through an alley and enter the lot. The witness stated he then saw a man exit the car, walk towards the Camry, open the door, and drive southbound on Park Avenue.

Another man then exited the passenger seat of the car, entered the driver’s seat, and left the lot, driving northbound on Park Avenue.

The witness gave police a possible license plate number, but the plate number he gave was traced to a 1998 Dodge Caravan that police determined was not involved in the incident.