Dorms qualify for EPA Award

Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Maricopa Residence Hall received the EPA Energy Star award.  The EPA Energy Star award recognizes outstanding contributions through energy efficiency.
Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat Maricopa Residence Hall received the EPA Energy Star award. The EPA Energy Star award recognizes outstanding contributions through energy efficiency.

Maricopa and Arizona Sonora qualify for EPA Energy Star awards, they are currently waiting on an architect to inspect the halls to make the rating official.

“”I think it’s a really good indication of things to come at the university,”” said Joe Abraham, sustainability coordinator. “”It’s recognition of activities already completed and hopefully it will stimulate more of that kind of energy.””

If the dorms win the award they will be the first buildings on campus to receive this recognition and the first dorms in the Pacific 10 Conference.

The Environmental Protection Agency’s program compares energy efficiency to other residence halls around the country, eligible buildings fall into the top 25 percent.

Both halls have new, more sustainable windows.

“”Maricopa was built in the twenties but because of the upgrades res life has made it very efficient,”” said Jill Ramirez, coordinator for sustainability education.

Planning, Design and Construction continues to build with sustainability in mind.

“”The buildings that we build are built to be sustainable to last for 50 years are more,”” said Melissa Dryden, senior program coordinator of Planning, Design and Construction.

Dryden said they are in the process of getting buildings Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certified.

Sustainability has always been the main focus and the certification validates that according to Dryden.

“”There are a lot of really great sustainable initiatives going on around campus that aren’t getting national press.”” Ramirez said. “”This would be an opportunity to do that.””

Ramirez thinks recognition is invaluable as more and more students see sustainability as a factor.

“”ASU is like the golden child of sustainability but we’re doing just as much.””