Augie Busch returns to UA as swimming and diving head coach

UA Athletic Director Dave Heeke announced Saturday, July 8 the new UA men and women’s swimming and diving head coach, Augie Busch.

Busch will be taking the reigns this upcoming season, and although he is no stranger to the UA community, it will be his first season as the men and women’s swimming and diving head coach. 

The UA alumnus is following in his father’s footsteps, Frank Busch Sr., and is also bringing on board two new assistant coaches who happen to have ties to Arizona as well. Buch’s younger brother, Sam Busch, and another UA alumnus, Cory Chitwood, will be leaving the University of Virginia and joining Augie Busch.  

Previous head coach, Rick “Rocket” Demont announced his retirement early spring after serving the last four years as UA head coach. Demont has spent around the last 30 years in some capacity with the UA swimming and diving programs and is a well-respected man for that. Demont will be missed, but all eyes are on the pool as Busch steps in to fill big shoes. 

Busch previously served as UA assistant coach to Rick Demont and Frank Busch Sr., from 2003-2011 and later was hired as head coach of the men and women’s swimming and diving teams at University of Virginia. He spent the past four seasons leading his team to three ACC victories. 

Arizona is excited to welcome Busch as a Wildcat, and can’t wait to see what he does with swimming and diving program this upcoming season.