Gonzaga’s Few brings an attractive coaching resume

Arizona forward Jordan Hill jumps up for a short shot in a 69-56 win over San Diego State on Dec. 10 in McKale Center. The Wildcats face No. 4 Gonzaga today in U.S. Airways Center.

Arizona vs. No. 4 Gonzaga

PHOENIX – Mark Few and big-name head coaching openings have gone hand-in-hand over the past few years.

Offer after offer, Few has turned down several opportunities to begin a new regime on a national big-name conference.

Tucson’s latest “”Help Wanted”” advertisement may be no exception.

By turning No. 4 Gonzaga (7-0) from a small mid-major school to a household college basketball name, Few fits the criterial that UA athletic director Jim Livengood seeks to replace Lute Olson.

Livengood wants a well-established proven winner. Few has a 243-60 record over the past nine years – all of which made the NCAA tournament.

Today at the U.S. Airways Center in Phoenix, the Wildcats (6-2) face arguably one of Few’s most talented teams during his nine-plus year tenure at Gonzaga.

“”U of A would be smart to go after a guy like that, as well as some others,””UA interim head coach Russ Pennell said this week.

Few’s name has circulated the rumor mill in coaching vacancies at Washington, Indiana and Kentucky over past few years.

But when factoring in coaching decisions, there’s more to just the glamor of a BCS conference upgrade.

Few’s favorable lifestyle fits the Pacific northwest.

“”He’s got a quality of life there that I think doesn’t get factored in when you talk about jobs,”” Pennell said. “”Coaches are looking for that more and more these days. Instead of looking at a program, they’re looking at the way of life. And at Gonzaga, he’s got it.

“”People in Spokane love the team, he’s got great facilities now,”” Pennell added. “”The Northwest is rich with talent and he dominates his league. He not only gets to the NCAA tournament but he can win games.””

Stay with the DailyWildcat.com throughout the game for live blogging, then visit after the game for post-game coverage.