UA dance department tackles humane issue

Members of the UA Dance Ensemble, including Hayley Meyer, left, Jaclyn Burch and Kelsey Davis, will perform in Animals and Arabesques Sunday to benefit Arizona animal rescue organizations.
    Members of the UA Dance Ensemble, including Hayley Meyer, left, Jaclyn Burch and Kelsey Davis, will perform in ‘Animals and Arabesques’ Sunday to benefit Arizona animal rescue organizations.

While the UA dance department regularly seeks to push its creative boundaries, its latest performance might surprise even the most open minded. The department will hold a one-showing-only benefit concert Sunday titled “”Animals and Arabesques,”” an animal-themed show aimed at raising awareness of current issues facing animals.

“”The idea behind this concert and my piece (‘Humanely Speaking’) this semester came from my involvement in animal rescue work these last couple of years,”” wrote dance department adjunct faculty member and undergraduate advisor Elizabeth George in an e-mail to the Daily Wildcat. “”I decided to make it my goal this semester to get out there into the community and raise awareness about the topic of pet overpopulation.””

George’s original piece will also project video and images with facts about “”pertinent animal overpopulation”” issues that George said she also attempted to work into the choreography.

“”My cast members (all UA dance majors) not only dance in this piece, but also toured the Humane Society this semester and watched videos before their rehearsals about this problem,”” George wrote.

Dancers in George’s piece had to first audition for their spots, and have been rehearsing approximately six hours a week since January, junior dance major Kelsey Davis said.

“”I’m very excited to be a part of Liz George’s choreography in a piece about a subject that she feels such strong passion for,”” Davis wrote in an e-mail to the Daily Wildcat. “”She did a beautiful job and the piece turned out great!””

Davis said she hopes the piece will educate and entertain the audience.

“”Often times subjects such as animal overpopulation are overlooked by the general public, and it’s a great way to get the message out to the people through something other than pure soliciting,”” Davis wrote.

“”Animals and Arabesques”” will last approximately 40 minutes and will also feature a piece from the ballet “”Sleeping Beauty”” and a piano performance. “”This performance falls at the end of two weeks of rehearsals and performances for the UA Dance Ensemble, so the stress would have to be the hardest part,”” Davis wrote. “”It’s a great show to end the long strenuous weeks.””

All proceeds from the tickets ($25 each) will go to the Humane Society of Southern Arizona and the Arizona Border Collie Rescue, George wrote.

“”We would absolutely love to have a sold out house,”” George wrote.

In addition to the above organizations, the Pima Animal Control Center will be at the performance beforehand to pass out information.

“”Animals and Arabesques”” will be held Sunday at the Stevie Eller Dance Theater at 5 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the door (must be cash or a check made out to the Arizona Border Collie Rescue) or reservations can be made in advance over the phone with a credit card. Contact Meredith Moore at 321-3704 ext. 188 or mmoore@hssaz.org for more information.

If you are interested in making a donation to Arizona Border Collie Rescue, contact Elizabeth George at egeorge@email.arizona.edu.