Gymcats to face Washington

UA freshman Rebecca Cardenas performs her routine on the uneven bars during a loss to No. 4 Stanford Friday night in McKale Center.

Maybe an extra day of rest is just the thing the Arizona women’s gymnastics team needs to break their four-meet losing streak.

The Gymcats are set to compete in Bank of America Arena in Seattle this Saturday against Washington. The ladies have enjoyed their two-week homestead, but are looking forward to their upcoming travels.

“”Traveling is fun,”” said senior Alexis Greene, “”we get to hang together as a team.””

Numbers are on the Gymcats’ side this time around as the team posted higher than 195.00 in the past two weeks. Washington is coming off of their season high of 194.400, which fails in comparison to the most recent Gymcats performances.

Things really shaped up for the Gymcats last week as they posted season highs in three events, but head coach Bill Ryden is still aware that this meet will not simply be handed over to his team.

“”Obviously bars need to bounce back,”” Ryden said after Thursday’s practice. “”But (the judges) are not going to give us anything on vault or floor.””

The Gymcats were very successful on vault, beam, and floor the past week, scoring 49.200, 48.725, and 49.225, respectively.

Alexis Greene also jumped back into her spot in the all-around event after taking some time off the vault to nurse an injury from last year.

“”It’s where she belongs, that’s for sure,”” said assistant coach John Court. “”She goes out there and performs, and that is what a senior is supposed to do.””

When asked of her return to the clutch position, Greene said, “”I am really glad to be back. I was kind of unsure at one point if I’d come back to vault, but being back at it is good for my personal drive and for the team. As long as I can help out the team, it’s what I want to do.””

Ryden has expressed repeatedly his firm belief that his team can pull off a 196.000, and the scores have gotten closer and closer with each meet. If the Gymcats perform as they did against Oregon, and keep their bar event under control, this meet could very well be their first win.

Saturday will more than likely also give Britnie Jones another chance at sticking her bar routine, and turn around last week’s bar results. Jones slipped a handstand in her debut bar routine, but Ryden is still confident in her abilities.

The Gymcats, now No. 21, still moved up in the rankings despite the loss to Stanford.

“”Everyone knows a win is better than a loss,”” Greene said. “”So, a win would be great for our fans, and for the team.””