Police Beat: October 4

Green men running

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the Highland Avenue underpass at about 10:58 p.m. on Sept. 27, in response to a corporal’s advisory that a large group of people from the Alpha Delta Pi Date Dash buses ran from him in the area. The corporal said that it looked that they had been fighting, so he requested assistance. The corporal also mentioned that it looked like many of the students were wearing green body suits.

Once the additional officer arrived at the scene, he noticed several individuals running southbound on Cherry Avenue, across from First Street. One of the individuals was dressed in a green, full—body spandex suit. The officer then activated his overhead emergency equipment to stop the single individual wearing the green suit. When the officer exited his patrol vehicle, the student began running, but ran right into another officer in a marked patrol unit, and turned southbound away from both officers.

The first officer followed the student into the alley just south of First Street and saw a large group of people running toward the back entrance of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house. Other officers reported a group of about 15 men running into the the Highland Avenue Parking Garage, five of them wearing green body suits.

The officer near the fraternity house heard people shouting and running inside the house. The officer knocked on the gate multiple times, but there was no response. Then the second officer, who had one of the subjects detained, arrived at the fraternity house.

The vice president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon then arrived at the scene and was notified of the situation. He told the officers that he was aware of the altercation but didn’t know about the students who ran into the fraternity house.

The first officer told the vice president that he had knocked at the gate multiple times and the vice president told the officer that there is a “chain” regarding who answers the door, but that someone should have answered the door regardless. He told the officer that it was inappropriate for the individuals to run into the house away from the cops and not answer the door when the officer knocked.

A code of conduct referral was sent to the Dean of Students Office regarding the fraternity.

Don’t stand in the street

A 23-year-old man was arrested for an outstanding failure to appear warrant from the Tucson Police Department at 7:42 a.m. on Sept. 27. He was found at the intersection of Park Avenue and Speedway Boulevard panhandling and stepping into traffic. Once the UAPD officer arrived at the scene, the man moved onto the median on the west side of the intersection.

When the officer approached the man, he told the officer that he was just trying to get something to eat. The officer did a records check and found that there was an active warrant out for the man’s arrest for failure to appear on a DUI charge. The man was then transported to Pima County Jail.

Drink and stroll

A UAPD officer was traveling eastbound on Fourth Street at 2:50 a.m. on Sept. 23 when he saw a man and woman walking on the sidewalk south of Fourth Street. The man had his arm around the woman’s shoulders as she walked and swayed from side to side. The officer stopped and asked if the two were all right and where they were coming from. The woman told the officer they were fine and the man said they had been at a friend’s house.

The officer noticed the smell of alcohol coming from their breath as they spoke. The woman’s eyes were very red and glassy and the man’s eyes were red, but neither individual showed indication of medical distress. Both were UA students. The officer cited and released the subjects on a charge of minor in possession of alcohol in body.