Arizona men’s tennis vs. New Mexico State preview

The Arizona Men’s tennis team prepares to host the Aggies of New Mexico State this weekend in Tucson. The Wildcats are coming off of a great weekend beating NAU and Nevada on their home court to open up the season.

The Wildcats boast seven returning players who have the job of mentoring the new guys. Juniors Giacomo Miccini, Mario Urquidi, Kiernen Thompson and Andre Vidaller represent the upper classmen on this team who will provide leadership and experience for the few new faces on board for the spring season.

Urquidi and Thompson will face off in singles this weekend against the Aggies. The Wildcats come off singles victories on five of the six single court matches and hope to keep it rolling and stay undefeated against New Mexico State.

New Mexico State is coming off of a match against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, where they claimed two points for single play, and took a point home for doubles as well.

Tad Berkowitz, the Wildcats head coach, has the team primed and ready to play a team that they have had much success against in the past. The Wildcats hope to improve over last year’s season in which they lost a few more than they won (9-14).

With a strong start to this season, and a solid group of upper-class leadership and skills, look for the Wildcats to be contenders for the top of the Pac-12 come conference play.