Arizona football’s Ka’Deem Carey to face charges stemming from incident with ex-girlfriend

Arizona running back Ka’Deem Carey will face charges this week stemming from a domestic violence incident involving his pregnant ex-girlfriend on Dec. 23, according to the Tucson Police Department.

Carey will voluntarily present himself at the courthouse for the purpose of answering to those charges, according to TPD.

Sgt. Chris Widmer, a spokesman for the TPD, told multiple news outlets that charges will be filed this week.

The Arizona Daily Wildcat spoke on the phone with the woman involved in the incident, Marissa Rambow, a Catalina Foothills native, Miss Arizona USA 2012 contestant and Eller College of Management student. Although Rambow agreed to be identified in this report, she refused to comment on “private matters between Ka’Deem” and herself.

According to court documents pertaining to Rambow’s petition for an order of protection against Carey, which he received on Dec. 31, the incident occurred when he went into her room “to obtain a lighter to use illegal substance in home.”

Rambow, 23, asked him “multiple times” to leave the room and “he refused, pushed/shoved his way in and knocked [her] to the floor. Threatening [her] pregnancy and [herself].”

Carey then, according to the documents, slammed Rambow’s fingers in the door when she tried to prevent him from smoking the substance inside the house.

Rambow and Carey had been living together in the same home for the last year, she said.

Both UA head football coach Rich Rodriguez and athletic director Greg Byrne released statements on Sunday pertaining to the incident.

Rodriguez said, “I’ve spoken with Ka’Deem and am aware of the case. We take these matters very seriously and will support the authorities however we can. Once more specific information is available, we will act accordingly.”

Byrne: “The University and Department of Athletics are fully aware of the situation. This is now a matter for the local authorities and we will fully cooperate and assist them as needed. At this point we will have no further comment.”

Jeffrey Marks, Carey’s lawyer, said in an email that “Neither Mr. Carey nor I will have any comment until the legal proceedings are concluded.”

Carey was the nation’s leading rusher in 2012. The sophomore running back finished the season with 1,929 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns, both UA records.

Rambow, who is close to four months pregnant, said that the attention being given to the incident has been “overwhelming.”

“If this was a situation with any other normal person it wouldn’t be all over the news and in articles popping up everywhere,” Rambow said. “But I’m keeping strong through it and trying my best to keep my head held high through it all.”

Rambow said she has been a target of cyberbullying on Facebook and Twitter since the Dec. 23 incident became public.

“For a few weeks threatening things have been said to me or people have been saying horrific things,” Rambow said, “like that I am a gold digger or that I trapped [Carey] and all of these terrible things. A lot of it from people that don’t even know anything about Ka’Deem and my relationship.”

Rambow and Carey dated for 15 months, she said.

“It was a surprise to us both when I ended up getting pregnant,” she said.

On Dec. 18, Carey tweeted: “After god blessing me with a great season and a great semester of school. Find out he blessed me with a even better gift. I’m goin 2 b a daddy.”

Rambow said that people have been creating fake Twitter accounts just to attack her. Her friends and family are “horrified by the things that have been said,” she said. She said she will probably deactivate most of her accounts.

Although Rambow refused to discuss specifics pertaining to matters between her and Carey, she said she is reaching out about cyberbullying through media interviews.