Students launch law journal

A new student-run publication is tackling environmental topics with a wide range of perspectives.  

The Arizona Journal of Environmental Law and Policy released its inaugural issue on Friday.

What one student began has transformed into a full-fledged publication with an eager and excited staff.

The journal’s objective is to provide a blend of expertise on environmental and legal issues, by bringing together students from various fields.

“”I think the journal is really important to try to be something — to cross the bounds of not only Speedway, but also try to get the law students and hopefully the science grad students to talk to each other and collaboratively work together,”” said Jessica Driscoll, associate editor and hydrology doctoral student.

Driscoll considers herself to be a liaison between both fields because of her science background and her law minor.

“”(The journal) just provides a new medium for dialogue,”” Driscoll said. “”To make efficient policy you need both law and science to be understood.””

During last year’s winter break, Spencer Scharff, a UA alumnus and the journal’s founder, worked to establish the journal’s website and seek out interested students.

“”We’d all been wanting an environmental law journal but just didn’t have one,”” said Priya Sundareshan, the journal’s editor-in-chief, a third year law student and natural and resource economics graduate student.

The journal is completely online; something Sundareshan says sets it apart from your typical law journal.

“”Most law journals are in print, even in this day in age when people tend to do all their work online,”” Sundareshan said.

Scharff described the online format as perfectly tailored to the idea of being green as well as being cost efficient.

The first issue is comprised of a forward by former Arizona Gov. Bruce Babbitt, four full-length articles and a tribute to UA alumnus and former Secretary of the Interior Stewart Udall.

Scharff was excited to see what he describes as originally being “”an out there idea”” come to fruition, saying that he was “”Extremely proud of the work that everyone’s done since I’ve graduated. The journal is in amazing hands.””