Around the Pac-12

Freshman point guard Josiah Turner has been suspended for tonight’s game against Florida because of a violation of team policy, according to a release from Arizona Athletics. Turner did not make the trip to Florida.

“Josiah will not play in Wednesday’s game at Florida,” said head coach Sean Miller in the press release. “We will meet with him when we return to campus to discuss what his obligations to this program are moving forward.”

Turner did not play in Arizona’s game against Ball State on Nov. 13.

The 6-foot-3 guard is averaging 7.1 points and 1.7 assists in seven appearances this season.

He lost his starting job to sophomore Jordin Mayes early in the season when the Wildcats faced Duquesne on Nov. 9.

Earlier this week, Miller said Turner was making progress both in practice and off the court. He even said it was possible the 6-foot-3 point guard could earn his starting spot back, as Mayes struggled in the Wildcats last game against the NAU Lumberjacks on Saturday.

Bruins’ Nelson suspended, could be gone for season

On Tuesday, UCLA head coach Ben Howland announced that junior Reeves Nelson has been suspended indefinitely for “conduct unbecoming a member of the UCLA basketball program.”

According to Scout.com’s Tracy Pierson, Nelson has been “kicked off the basketball team permanently.”

Last season, the Modesto, Calif., native was UCLA’s leading scorer and rebounder.

This is the second time Nelson has been suspended this year. He was suspended in November for “insubordinate behavior,” according to the Los Angeles Times. The 6-foot-8, 235-pound junior also missed the team’s plane to Hawaii when UCLA participated in the Maui Classic, and was seen “pointing to, and laughing with, fans in the stands who were chanting his name” during the Bruins’ 69-59 loss against Texas, according to the Los Angeles Times.

“This continues a trend of very disappointing behavior by Reeves,” said Howland in a press release. “I personally have worked hard with him to illustrate the importance of the code of conduct for our student-athletes, as well as the ramifications for violating it. I am disappointed that he has continued to fall short of my expectations.”

Nelson made six appearances for the Bruins this season and started just one game. Nelson averaged 4.5 rebounds and 5.7 points per game, and shot nearly 43 percent from beyond the arc.

Out of the rankings

After Arizona fell out of the national rankings following its loss to San Diego State on Nov. 23, the rest of the conference has made an exit from the polls as well. This week, No. 24 California dropped out, and there are currently no Pac-12 teams in the national rankings.

• Stanford has 23 votes
• California has 11 votes
• Arizona has 5 votes
• Oregon State has 2 votes

Arizona (No. 16), UCLA (No. 17) and California (No. 24) all received pre-season rankings.

National noise

• Colorado’s Andrew Roberson ranks third among all rebounders, averaging 12 per game. He leads the Pac-12 conference in rebounding.

• Arizona’s Jesse Perry is tied for seventh in double-doubles with five on the season.

• Washington’s C.J. Wilcox is ranked 12th nationally in 3-point field goal percentage. The sophomore is shooting 51.4 percent from beyond the arc.

• Oregon State’s Devon Collier has had the hot hand of late. The forward is shooting nearly 65 percent from the field. He’s averaging 15.4 points per game for the Beavers.

Schedule

While the Wildcats travel to Gainesville, Fla., to take on the Gators today at 5 p.m., most of conference will enjoy home court games. Here’s tonight’s action:

• Nevada at ASU: Tempe, Ariz., 5:30 p.m.
• Cal State-Fullerton at Utah: Salt Lake City, 6 p.m.
• Fresno State at Colorado: Boulder, Colo., 6 p.m.
• Washington State at Idaho: Moscow, Ida., 7 p.m.
• San Jose State at California: Berkeley, Calif., 7:30 p.m.