“Legislative update, award for Likins top regents’ agenda”

today’s board of regents agenda

PHOENIX – After setting undergraduate resident tuition yesterday, the Arizona Board of Regents will focus its attention on the state Legislature, approving new degrees at the three universities and giving a rare award to President Peter Likins at its meeting today.

The regents are expected to receive an update on proposed legislation, legislative activities and the status of budget discussions from its lobbyist Michael Hunter.

Regents already discussed the budget yesterday prior to its decision to raise tuition for undergraduates.

Several of the bills of interest to the regents are likely stalled in budget negotiations, as any bill with funding attached is being held until the governor and her leadership agree on a budget.

The UA will ask the regents for permission to offer new degrees in special education as well as doctorates in rehabilitation and school psychology.

The regents are expected to award Likins with the Regents’ Medal today.

Established in 1965 by the regents as a means of recognizing outstanding service to education in Arizona, it has only been awarded 11 times in the last 41 years.

Provost George Davis, sitting in for Likins as he recovers from heart surgery, said it was unlikely Likins would pick up the award himself.

But Davis may be biased, as he told the regents yesterday he had a $10 bet with his wife that the recovering Likins would not attend the board of regents meeting.

Davis said he couldn’t predict whether Likins would show up, saying he was caught off-guard when Likins and his wife Patricia surprised cabinet members on Monday with an impromptu visit.