Hot ‘n’ not Oct. 23

Rebecca Marie Sasnett
Rebecca Marie Sasnett/ The Daily Wildcat Akilah James, senior, plays in the singles Wildcat Invitationals Friday, Oct. 11, 2013.

Hot

After rushing for 236 yards and having a career-high 39 carries against Utah, junior running back Ka’Deem Carey was named the Pac-12 Conference Offensive Player of the Week on Monday.

For the first time in its history, the Arizona women’s cross country team is ranked No. 1 in the nation. The Wildcats received the recognition after winning the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational on Saturday.

After its sweep against UCLA and No. 1 USC, the Arizona indoor volleyball team now has a spot on the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division I Coaches Top 25 Poll. The Wildcats are No. 25.

Volleyball junior Madi Kingdon and freshman Penina Snuka both received Pac-12 weekly honors for the second time this season. Kingdon was named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week, and Snuka was recognized as Pac-12 Freshman of the Week.

The Arizona men’s basketball team made it to the front page of ESPN’s NCAA section this week and is ranked No. 1 in the Pac-12 preseason media poll.

Arizona guard T.J. McConnell was named one of the 50 players on the watch list for the Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year Award.

Hockey swept No. 3 Oklahoma on the road, the UA’s first sweep of a team ranked that high since 1996. Plus, the No. 17 Wildcats finally play at home this weekend.

Not

Arizona women’s tennis fell at the ITA Regional Tournament in San Diego. The women lost the singles, doubles, quarterfinal round and round 16.

Arizona women’s cross country is looking so hot, they are making the men’s team look bad. The guys finished 30th in Wisconsin.

Former Arizona quarterback Nick Foles suffered a head injury and had to leave the game while playing the Dallas Cowboys Sunday. Before that, he was 11-for-29 for 80 yards.

Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre showed his fear of playing against Ka’Deem Carey this weekend by saying in a media luncheon that he wishes the Buffs were playing Jim Carrey instead of Ka’Deem Carey. This isn’t too hard to understand, coming from someone about to face the nation’s leading rusher, who had 366 yards rushing against Buffaloes last year.

Oregon defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti was fined $5,000 and reprimanded by the Pac-12 conference after he made negative comments about Washington State University and the Pac-12 officiating program.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal