UA basketball swept away in the Bay

Stanford 76, Arizona 60

Back-to-back double-digit losses probably wasn’t how Chase Budinger envisioned things when he optimistically said the Wildcats could win the Pacific 10 Conference this season.

The harsh reality abruptly struck Arizona (9-5, 0-2) over the weekend after losing Sunday’s game 76-60 to Stanford (11-1, 1-1) in Palo Alto, Calif.

Both teams entered Sunday’s game coming off double-digit losses, desperate to split and salvage their Pac-10 debut weekend.

The Wildcats, who lost 69-55 to California Friday night, now return home losing to both Bay Area schools by significant margins.

Budinger continued to suffer from his shooting drought, only making 4 of 11 shots from the field. However, all four of his successful baskets came as three dunks and one layup.

The captain, who finished with 12 points and 6 rebounds, had gone 8-for-39 from the floor and 2-for-14 from 3-point land over his past three games – Budinger’s worst slump of his college career.

Once again, Arizona suffered from turnovers and ensuing points – a considerable deficiency that has haunted the Wildcats in all of their four losses this season.

Before Sunday’s game, opponents outscored Arizona 75-24 in points off turnovers in those previous four losses. Arizona committed a season-high 20 turnovers.

Struggles continued from beyond the arc, as Arizona shot a dismal 0-for-9 from 3-point land.

Due to early foul troubles, Arizona played the last 2:27 of the first half without Wise, Hill or Horne in the game. The Cardinal extended their lead to nine points to end the half, as UA forward Kyle Fogg and Budinger were the only two starters on the floor ending the half.

Horne fouled out with over five minutes remaining in the game.

UA forward Jordan Hill once again led the Wildcats despite Stanford’s effort to double-team the big man down low. Hill tied a team-high with 17 points and grabbed 16 rebounds. UA point guard Nic Wise matched Hill’s 17 points by going 8-for-12 from the floor.

Stanford’s Anthony Goods and Landry Fields opened the second half with back-to-back 3-pointers. Goods hit a 3 to go up 46-32, forcing UA to call a timeout, biggest lead of the night, 14 points.

Fields led the Cardinal with 19 points and 13 rebounds.

Last season, the Wildcats went 0-3 against Stanford.