The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

80° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


Arizona soccer team ends scoreless against Colorado for first draw of the season

Amy Bailey
Arizona junior Jada Talley (22) heads the incoming ball from TCU’s goal keeper.

Not much happened during the Arizona soccer team’s match against Colorado on Friday, April 9, as the game at Prentup Field ended in a 0-0 draw. It was Arizona’s first draw of the season. 

Both teams had a quiet first half. Arizona had eight shots and three on goal. Forward Jill Aguilera had the first shot of the match for the Wildcats at the 3-minute mark, but it was not close to the goal and went far left. Aguilera’s next shot just a minute later was on point, but it was saved by Buffaloes goalkeeper Dani Hansen. 

Forward Jada Talley had a great shot at the 11-minute mark, but Hansen saved that shot too. Talley had the final shot of the half for the Wildcats at the 40-minute mark. Colorado had two shots on goal, but they were both saved by goalkeeper Hope Hisey. 

The second half of the match was much more competitive. Arizona and Colorado came out much more aggressive. Colorado may have come out a little too aggressive, as defender Hannah Sharts was issued a yellow card in the 51-minute mark. The Wildcats were looking for any opportunity to make the Buffaloes pay for the hard foul, and they found it around the 50-minute mark. 

Aguilera fired a shot at the goal and initially it looked as if it was saved. Then, Hansen mishandled the ball and it fell in front of the goal. There was a scrum for about 10 seconds to maintain possession of the ball. Multiple Wildcats charged the ball yet whiffed at every attempt to put it in the net. Finally, Colorado cleared the ball down the field and ended Arizona’s best chance at a goal all year. 

Ironically, the same scrum happened on the other end at around the 58-minute mark. Colorado sent a corner kick right into Hisey’s hands, but she dropped the ball right in front of the goal. Multiple Buffaloes got a foot on the ball, even sending the ball right off the post. This time, it was the Wildcats’ Ava Hetzel who eventually cleared the ball, sending the match into overtime, the first of the year for Arizona. 

RELATED: Arizona soccer team delivers huge statement win over defending national champion Stanford

Talley had the only shot on goal in the first overtime for both teams at 95th-minute, but Hansen was able to hold onto it this time. 

With both teams gassed, the Wildcats used up every bit of energy that was left in the tank for the second overtime. Arizona had three shots on goal at the 107-minute mark. Talley took the first shot, and midfielder Madison Goerlinger took the next two. None were able to clear the net and both teams walked away with a tie. 

This was the third time these two programs have tied 0-0. It was also the fifth time Arizona has tied Colorado, which is more ties than they have against any other team.

Arizona will face Utah at Ute Field on Sunday, April 11 at 12 p.m. MST. 

Follow Sean Fagan on Twitter

More to Discover
Activate Search