This Day in Wildcat History

• On July 10, 1980, Mexican-American leaders told the Arizona Summer Wildcat that racial disturbances similar to then-recent turmoil in Miami were likely to happen. “”All it’s going to take is one little incident,”” youth worker Max Torres said. “”I can sense the tension that exists.””
  • The same day, the Wildcat reported that the UA libraries were the first in the nation to be using a new type of “”online”” circulation and book checkout system similar to that used at grocery store checkouts. The
    installation of the system required the
    library to be shut down for a week while bar codes were pasted on all the books.
  • On July 5, 1988, the Wildcat reported that University Medical Center research showed that accutane and beta-carotene, two derivatives of vitamin A, were showing promise in “”preventing and even reversing cancer.”” Accutane is often prescribed to treat acne, while beta-carotene is a vitamin found in carrots.
  • ? On July 8, 1971, Wildcat columnist Conrad Goeringer commented on the release of the Pentagon Papers by declaring that “” ‘establishment’ papers such as the [New York] Times are now beginning to feel the iron-fist of government censorship.”” Because of the release of the “”now-legendary 47-volume manuscript,”” with its revelations of government dishonesty, Goeringer writes, many Americans now feel “”they have not been told the truth about the war in Asia.””

ð

– compiled by Justyn Dillingham