Tricats to ride for 36 hours

From left to right, pre-business sophomore Dani Shotwell, fine arts junior Rachel Wordelman, and business management senior Kyle Watson bike to raise money for their team nationals and to support the American Heart Association yesterday on the UA Mall.

The Tricats, the UA’s triathlon club team, will complete their continuous 36-hour fundraiser on the UA Mall tonight where different members of the team are, and have been, cycling in place all day yesterday and last night.

The “”36-hour ride to nationals”” is to raise money for the team to go to the USA Triathlon national collegiate triathlon in April, where 100 universities from all around the country will compete at the University of Alabama in running, cycling and swimming.

“”We’re cycling and working our butts off over here,”” Angela Green, a communications junior and vice president of the Tricats said on her bike as a drop of sweat dripped down her face. “”We want to represent the UA.””

The club is collecting donations with a goal of raising $1,000 for nationals.

The trip to nationals will cost the team around $15,000, most of which they have had to pay out of their own pockets, said Eugene Quackenbush, a microbiology junior who has been a Tricat for two years.

“”Basically we want to go beat ASU and keep the rivalry going in style in Alabama,”” Quackenbush said, breathing heavily as he rode in place on the mall. “”We’re not begging. We’re out here to show our dedication.””

Twenty-five percent of the proceeds from the fundraiser will go to the American Heart Association.

Quackenbush said he estimates he will ride about 50 miles on the mall between his two shifts yesterday and last night.

The Tricats are coming off of a successful competition at the Lake Havasu Triathlon over spring break, Green said, and are looking forward to riding into nationals with the success.

The team works out at least once a day, six days a week, Green said.

The Tricats’ ride will end tonight at 8 p.m.