M83’s newest album ‘Junk’ lives up to its name

M83’s back at it with a brand new album titled Junk. Junk is the bands seventh studio album and has been on music lovers’ radar for about a year now and singles off the album started trickling in last month. M83 have been quiet recently, but the French electronic group just recently started their world tour (making an appearance at Rialto Theatre April 12th) and will be playing at music festivals like Coachella.

The album doesn’t fall far from the name; this isn’t M83’s best work. Basically, this is a 80’s synthetic pop, Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming type nostalgia album. None of the songs fit or coincide with each other. In M83’s defense, that’s what front man Anthony Gonzalez was aiming for.

“I wanted to make what I call an ‘organized mess’—a collection of songs that aren’t made to live with each other, yet somehow work together ” Gonzalez said in the album’s press materials.

However, that doesn’t mean the idea actually works together. Perhaps it’ll be background music at American Apparel or Urban Outfitters in a few weeks, but I don’t predict any of these songs hitting number one on Billboard top 100 any time soon.

Not everything about this album is terrible. “Road Blaster” is the song you can cruise to while imagining you’re in the early 90s soap opera “Melrose Place.” It’s the 80s pop single that never happened, and M83 brought it to life. Just like every 80s pop song there is intense guitar and saxophone instrumentals that will radiate any speaker it’s played on.

“Antlantique Sud” featuring French singer Mai Lan, is an incredibly cheesy French love song that’s not that terrible. It’s actually quite nice to listen to with your boo thang and will remind you of that one ineffable 70’s song that’s always at the tip of your tongue.

Sometimes the guitar, saxophone and synthetics can go very, very wrong. Take “Tension” for example. This song will for sure take you on a trippy daydream into your own personal John Hughes movie. Yes, there’s a red convertible involved and yes, Molly Ringwald will be there too. While some people actually wish their life was a John Hughes movie, it’s 2016 and there’s a point in time where taking sounds from different generations needs to stop.

Junk lacks anything original because it has all been copped from various 80s TV shows and movie soundtracks. Artists want to be innovative and create new art; of course, when its done well, artists and bands can get away with such style. But on the whole M83’s album Junk was a disappointment.

Ultimately if 80s fantasy pop/space opera/nostalgia is your thing, Junk is for you. If it’s not, I would recommend listening to “Midnight City” on repeat. Either way, bring your space suit and your 80’s hairstyles and get ready to jam out to M83.

Follow Mariel Bustamante on Twitter