Arizona women’s cross country heads to Washington for the NCAA West Regional Championships

Chloe Hislop
University of Arizona cross country runner Megan Bounds after the Dave Murray Invitational on September 13. The UA’s women’s cross country team won the meet with 21 points.

The Arizona women’s cross country team has qualified for the NCAA West Regional Championships. The race will be held on Nov. 15 in Colfax, Wash., at the Colfax Golf Club. 

The Arizona women are proud to be traveling to Washington this weekend to compete in the NCAA West Regional Championships. Making it this far proves the women’s hard work during training is paying off, and hopefully for Arizona, their strengths will have continued to grow as it has each meet. This can allow them to reach their overall goal in making it to the NCAA championships after this race. 

Having gotten sixth place in the Pac-12’s, Arizona should be able to secure a top spot in the West Regional Championships. Arizona is going up against over 30 teams from the West region, but they aren’t facing any new intimidating 6k speeds. 

Jennie Baragar-Petrash should take the lead for the Wildcats and lead the way through the course. Her teammates should be able to stay as close to her as possible. Having had a bye week, the women definitely should have a strong and dependable game plan to stick close together and up front in order to get a solid score.

The race will begin at 10:30 a.m. local time. The Arizona women will be waiting for the gun to go off in box 13 next to UCLA and Sacramento State, and it can certainly be expected that the Wildcats are focused on achieving some PRs and strong placings to achieve their season goal of competing in the NCAA championships. 

Follow Johnnie Mitchell on Twitter