Best hang-out spots on campus

Intimidated by college? Don’t worry, everyone feels that way at first. The Wildcat is here to help; here’s some places where you can meet new people, take a break from the sun or just hang out and study. And, for those of you who don’t want to live on ramen, eat.

At 380 acres, the UA campus may seem forbiddingly massive your freshman year. But within the large campus are some great hangouts.

Once you’ve used up most of your options at the Student Union Memorial Center, try grabbing a slice of pizza at No Anchovies, 870 E. University Blvd., which has a tradition of making pizza from scratch since 1988.

The slices are generous and the outside patio is a great place to relax, but don’t be fooled by the name, fish-lovers – No Anchovies does in fact offer anchovies as a topping on pizzas, and also offers salads and wings.

If you have a free hour between classes, stop by the turtle pond just off North Park Avenue and south of Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall. The turtle pond is not a myth or a mirage. You can indeed see turtles, Koi, frogs, and occasionally ducks inside the small pond. The pond is surrounded by grass and has a well-shaded area for reading and doing homework.

Because it’s hot all the time in Arizona, ice cream is almost always appropriate for the occasion. Located next to Johnny Rockets on University Boulevard, Penguin’s Yogurt is open late and offers a wide variety of frozen treats as well as ever-changing weekly flavors. Penguin’s offers an outside patio, as well as seating inside for a leisurely afternoon.