Soundbites: Oct. 14

Daily Wildcat columnists weigh in on the upcoming midterm election.

Prop. 107: Two colors of justice

If Proposition 107 is passed, the state of Arizona “”shall not grant preferential treatment to or discriminate against any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education or public contracting.””

Supporters of the bill argue that this amendment will end disproportional support for citizens based on gender and race, based on the confidence that any preference is discrimination for some other group.

Opponents of the bill firmly assert that the passage of such an amendment will strip the state of important resources for women and minorities, programs and initiatives that seek to even the playing field for groups statistically less like to seek an education or find jobs in certain fields.

Ignore all that.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a man or a woman, or what shade of human beige you happen to be. This isn’t a proposition to outright ban one program or another. This is bigger than that.

This is an opportunity for us to set a precedent about how we feel about the issue of power and privilege in our society.

You believe that certain people, due to circumstances out of their control, are obligated assistance from others to achieve the same opportunities as others.

Or you believe that all our opportunities are equally available to everyone, and that everyone is equally obligated to make use of the resources that are available to them in order to be successful.

It’s impossible to have your cake and eat it too, because one side will always say that the opposing viewpoint puts someone at an unfair disadvantage.

The passage or failure of this proposition won’t guarantee the destruction or endurance of any program or resources. It will change the lens through which we determine which of those programs are fair or necessary.

Be brave, take a side and make a choice. You’ll see if you were right or wrong in a few years.

Enjoy that tasty democracy, folks.

— Remy Albillar is a senior majoring in English and creative writing.

Medical marijuana will help the sick, hurt no one

Arizonans should vote yes on Proposition 203, which would legalize medical marijuana. If approved, Arizona would become one of a number of states to have legalized the substance for medical use. Doctors have long claimed that marijuana is an effective painkiller and boosts the appetite of its users. Patients with chronic pain or terminal illnesses argue that ingesting marijuana helps them get through the day without the harmful side effects of other medications.

Opponents claim that legalizing marijuana for medical use would make it easier for kids to obtain the substance. But let’s be real; it’s already easy for kids to obtain marijuana. Users would need a prescription from a doctor and would then either grow their own or buy it from a number of dispensaries throughout the state. Opponents also argue that, if legalized, Arizona would become much like California, where dispensaries in Los Angeles are more common than Starbucks and almost anyone can get a license. This simply isn’t the case, as in the Arizona law, the restrictions are much tighter, and it’s mandated that only 120 dispensaries will be given permits to operate.

Medical marijuana is hardly the demon its opponents claim it to be. There will be no increased crime or teenagers getting stoned legally, as the proposition would continue the current strict control of the substance. This proposition, if enacted, will do nothing but make life a little easier for those who are suffering, and that is why you are urged to vote yes on Prop. 203 this Nov. 2.

— Andrew Shepherd is a political science senior.