Arizona to hold open football practices in Glendale

The Arizona football team will host an open practice at Glendale Community College on Saturday. The practice will include free admission and parking for fans and will last from noon until 2 p.m.

The Wildcats will return to practice Wednesday after a week off for spring break. A Fan Fest will take place at the practice, including giveaways, the Territorial Cup on display for pictures, sales team representatives on hand to assist with season tickets and a 30-minute post-game autograph session with head coach Rich Rodriguez.

Prior to spring break, Arizona held two practices to kick off the spring football season. Coming back from spring break, Rodriguez hoped that his players have kept in shape over the course of the week.
“You don’t want to come back and start in spring practice and then lose some of that conditioning,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t want our football players saying, ‘Oh, it’s a week I can go to the beach, hang out and chase girls.’ I know what college students do in spring break.”

One player Rodriguez has often cited as taking a leadership role in practice so far is senior linebacker Jake Fischer, who missed all of last season with a torn ACL. Fischer has embraced that leadership role, even going so far as to skip spring break to focus on football.

“I’m going to try to be more of a leader, be one of the upperclassmen, you know just get the young guys in there to watch film and everything,” Fischer said. “We’re going to be in there watching film every day.”