Arizona Wildcats football to debut new uniforms Friday

Ryan Revock
Ryan Revock/ Arizona Summer Wildcat Different uniforms are on display inside the Lowells-Stevens Football Faciity onThursday, Aug. 1, 2013 during a tour given by Athletics Director Greg Byrne.

As the college football uniform evolves across the nation, the Wildcats are making a statement with their new design.

Senior offensive lineman Chris Putton said he is excited about the UA’s new uniforms.

“I love them. I think they’re cool,” said Putton. “All the guys were getting pumped up to play in the new uniforms.”

The uniforms feature gradient numbers that fade from red to blue. The sleeves also use this same gradient theme. Putton feels putting on this new uniform is a great way to finish his college career and that he loves the idea of the numbers being filled in with both red and blue.

Associate Athletic Director for Equipment Operations Wendell Neal said that the changes in this season’s uniforms are understated.

“It’s just a slightly subtle, different look,” said Neal. “Some subtle changes in the numerals on the jerseys and no stripes on the pants are the most noticeable changes.”

Neal said Nike provided the team with the new uniforms as part of Arizona’s contract with the company.

“The relationship between the color and performance is unclear,” said UA professor of psychology Jeff Stone.

Stone said teams wearing black tend to be penalized more and athletes who wear red win more often than athletes wearing blue.

Last year, Arizona went 3-1 in blue helmets, 4-2 in white helmets, 0-1 in copper helmets and 1-1 in red helmets.

The Wildcats went 4-1 in blue jerseys and 3-1 in red but 1-3 in road whites. Finally, Arizona was 4-2 in blue pants, 2-1 in whites and 2-2 in red.

This season, the Wildcats will again feature those four colors of helmets, those three pigments of jerseys and those three pants shades.

Arizona will wear copper helmets and blue jerseys and blue pants against NAU in the season opener Friday, senior quarterback B.J. Denker said in a press conference Monday.

Follow Zach @ZTennen11