Laxcats stick it to Denver Club

The Arizona men’s club lacrosse team started their season and first game in the same way – quickly.

The Laxcats scored early and never looked back en route to winning by a score of 14-4.

“”We made some mistakes early,”” Arizona head coach Ken Broschart said, “”but overall we played pretty well and showed that we were the better team.””

The offense played extremely well, Broschart said, mainly because of the pressure the players put on Denver.

“”Something that really helped us on offense was our riding,”” he said. “”Our offense had the ball the entire game because of our success at riding.””

Another key to the victory was solid play by senior goalie Charles Salemi, Broschart added.

“”He is always solid like that,”” Broschart said. “”He never really gets much credit, but he really did do a great job. He is going to be solid like that all year and that was just an average night for him.””

Salemi gave up only four goals, including holding Denver to one in the second half, to receive the first game ball of the year.

“”It was a really good win,”” Salemi said. “”We were worried about the first game jitters a little bit, but we came out strong, everyone got to play and it was just a solid team win today.””

Although the defense was stellar, the offense was even better, Broschart said.

“”We played really well,”” senior attackman Greg Polheber said. “”We moved the ball a lot and scored 14 goals. You have to be happy with that.””

Polheber scored five goals and added an assist in the domination of Denver.

The Laxcats are next in action against Simon Fraser at home tomorrow.