Wildcats men’s tennis gets swept at home by LMU and Fresno State

Emily Gauci

Arizona men’s tennis sophomore Will Kneale returns a volley during Arizona’s 4-1 loss to Oregon on Apr. 10, 2015 at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. 

It was another busy weekend for the University of Arizona’s Men’s tennis team, as they had two matches, Saturday against Fresno State and Sunday against Loyola Marymount.

To get the weekend started, the team took a loss against Fresno State, by a score of 4-3. The Wildcats lost the doubles point, as senior Will Adkisson and junior Shoti Mepardize lost to the Fresno State duo of senior Euan McIntosh and sophomore Patrik Pech 6-4. Then Arizona senior Will Kneale and junior Shoki Kasahara were defeated by Bulldog freshman Zdenek Derkas and junior Youssef Hassan 6-3.

In singles, Kneale won a close tie-breaker match against McIntosh by a score of 2-6, 7-6, 10-8, Junior Trent Botha had a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Derkas, and Freshman Alejandro Reguant scored Arizona its third point with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Fresno State freshman Henrique Osorio.

“They were the tougher team in the big moments and found ways to win when it mattered,” said Arizona head coach Clancy Shields. “There were some bright spots today for us with Trent, Will, and Alejandro’s performances. Trent played his most complete match of the season, Will kept working to turn the match around, and Alejandro played solid all the way through.”

Things didn’t get any better for the ‘Cats on Sunday, as they lost 5-2 against Loyola Marymount. In doubles, Adkisson and Meparidze lost to Lion sophomore Nick Borchenko and freshman Max Kaiser, followed by Kneale and Kasahara whowere defeated by Lion freshman Ryan Brown and senior Luke Bohuslov, giving LMU the doubles point.

In singles, Reguant and Plaskett were the only Wildcats to score points, as they beat LMU freshman Gabriel Diaz Freire and junior Alex Bourgeois, respectively.

The Wildcats will be back in action this Thursday and Friday as they take part in the HEB Tennis Tournament in Corpus Christi.

Follow Noah Auclair on Twitter