A mechanical bull and an ASUA meeting (ASUA Notebook 9/12/2018)

Marisa Favero
The members of ASUA come together on Wednesday, Sep. 13, 2017 in the Pima conference room at the Student Union to have their weekly meeting.

Campus Pantry donations, voter registration and club outreach were on the agenda for the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, the university’s student governing body, at its Sept. 12 meeting in the Pima Room of the Student Union Memorial Center.

Campus Pantry 

Campus Pantry, UA’s campus food bank, provided resources to over 250 students, its highest number to date, during its last distribution, according to Kate Rosenstengel, ASUA’s administrative vice president. 

The pantry is now low on some essential resources and has asked ASUA to lead a campaign to collect 200 boxes of cereal by next Friday, Rosenstengel said.

RELATED: ASUA establishes plans for campus opportunity (Notebook 9/5)

ASUA senators planned to reach out to their college organizations and clubs to help reach this goal. 

“I am excited for this initiative. Our goal as college representatives should be to instill a sense of philanthropy in the student body,” said Matthew Rein, executive vice president. 

All cereal-box donations dropped off at the ASUA offices will be sent to Campus Pantry next Friday. ASUA hopes to incorporate pantry donations into the campus culture as well as upcoming events such as Family Weekend. 

Voter Registration

Anthony Rusk, ASUA government affairs and policy director, asked the senators to help advertise a voter-registration event sponsored by ASUA and the Wildcat Events Board Sept. 25. 

“The event will feature a giant mechanical bull wrapped in American flags in order to get people’s attention, and then non-partisan organizations specialized in voter registration will register students to vote,” Rusk said. 

It’s important to get students registered so they have a voice on issues that matter to them, Rusk said. 

Serving Clubs 

During their first meeting, the ASUA Appropriations Board awarded five clubs funding for an array of events. 

They approved funding for the Marine Awareness and Conservation Society’s event in Flagstaff, Arizona as well as the Miss Native American University of Arizona annual pageant, according to Bennett Adamson, senator for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences. 

This academic year, 212 clubs have officially registered with ASUA, according to Rein. AUSA is now reaching out to clubs who have not fully completed their applications to ensure they are recognized and have access to ASUA funding.

New Senators, Supreme Court and Upcoming Events 

ASUA is in the process of interviewing students to fill their vacant senate positions, according to Rein. Applications for the vacant positions closed Aug. 28. 

ASUA will vote next week on ASUA Supreme Court nominees, as the final committee interviews are concluding, Senator Bennett Adamson said. 

RELATED: ASUA finds new ways of networking with the student body (Notebook 8/29/2018)

Natalynn Masters, ASUA’s president, encouraged senators to take part in the final meetings with UA students for UA’s Strategic Plan as its university-wide committee begins to bring to a close its yearlong process of setting a new direction for the institution. 

ASUA plans to highlight or help organize a number of events in the coming months. Adamson spotlighted a lecture and documentary presentation by Josh Tickell entitled “The Revolution Generation: How Millennials Can Save the World (Before It’s Too Late)” Sept. 24 in ENR2 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. sponsored by his college, the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences. 

The ASUA Senate will meet again on Sept 19. at 6 p.m. in the Pima Room of the SUMC. Check back to the Daily Wildcat to stay up-to-date on ASUA.

Follow Randall Eck on Twitter