Police Beat: Aug. 23

Thirsty welders wield Steel Reserve

A University of Arizona Police Department officer witnessed two men holding silver cans walking down the north side of Speedway Boulevard just west of Campbell Avenue on Aug. 17.

After the officer recognized the two 24-ounce cans as Steel Reserve beer, both men were told they would be cited for consuming alcohol in public.

“”I used to be a welder, that’s why I like Steel Reserve,”” one man said to the officer.

“”Since I’m getting a ticket, I might as well drink it,”” the other man said.

The two men were cited and released. The beer were emptied and properly disposed.  

‘I can barely say I’m straight backwards’

A UAPD officer saw a man abruptly swerve into the left lane near Sixth Street and Campbell Avenue, cross over the left-side fog line and drift back over the right lane divider, all before making a left turn on Eighth Street.

The officer stopped him at the UA Water Resource Center. After administering sobriety tests, the man admitted to having three cups of Budweiser before going to pick up a friend.

When asked to recite his ABCs, he stated, “”I can barely say I’m straight backwards,”” before correcting himself by saying, “”I can barely say my ABCs backwards.””

The man was arrested for slight DUI and driving with a suspended license. His car was remanded to a mandatory 20-day impound.

Beer, poker and the Dewey System

UAPD officers responded to the UA Main Library in reference to a man drinking beer and playing poker at a computer on Aug. 17 at just after 6 p.m.

They noticed the man had a 24-ounce can of Steel Reserve beer.

The man had an exclusionary order from the UA and was placed under arrest before being transported and booked into Pima County Jail.

“”I don’t know why I brought that beer into the library,”” he said. “”I know I’m not supposed to be on campus.””

Don’t mess with the UA Bookstore …You’ll get caught

A UA student was arrested for misdemeanor shoplifting after trying to remove a UA 13-month planner and a Canon camera from the UA Bookstore at 4:38 p.m. on Aug. 18.

The student began, at a very fast pace, to explain how he thought he paid for the camera and that the planner had been mistakenly placed in his bag.

However, after changing the details of his story each time he repeated it, the events were viewed on videotape.

The student tugged at the glass case containing the cameras and with his left foot, opened the stock drawer and retrieved the camera. After giving his friend some notebooks to purchase for him, the $258.98 of extra merchandise was placed in the bag. The items were returned to the shelves after his arrest.

The Code of Conduct violation was forwarded to the Dean of Students Office after his release.