Students evacuate Coronado

Colin Darland / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Police tape lines Tyndall Ave. outside the Coronado residence hall on the morning of February 10, 2010. Fire alarms from the residence hall forced an evacuation of the building after a broken elevator on the 11th floor filled an equipment room with smoke.
Colin Darland
Police tape lines Tyndall Ave. outside the Coronado residence hall on the morning of February 10, 2010.

Students evacuated Coronado Residence Hall on Wednesday morning after smoke was discovered coming from a room on the 11th floor which houses mechanical equipment that operates the elevators.

The smoke detector went off around 11:11 a.m. The Tucson Fire Department and the University of Arizona Police Department responded with three fire trucks and three police cars.

All floors were evacuated in Coronado, which is home to more than 800 students.

Many students didn’t even know there was smoke; they just thought it was a drill.

“”No one takes fire alarms seriously,”” said Jessica Lo, a pre-business freshman. “”They (police officers) kept saying it’s not a false alarm.””

Students expressed concern about their belongings, in particular their computers, but no one was hurt and there was no physical damage to any of the rooms except the mechanical room.

A fire did not cause the smoke, said UAPD Sgt. Juan Alvarez.

According to Alvarez, a mechanical issue with the elevator produced the smoke.

The smoke is thought to have come from an overheated motor in the elevator. The smoke damaged one of the three elevators in Coronado.

Facilities Management began working on the elevator and students were allowed inside the residence hall around noon.