Fair brings big acts to Phoenix

The Arizona State Fair begins its 123rd run when it opens Friday at noon. Running through Nov. 4, it will offer a star-studded concert series, eclectic foods and contests, and, of course, rides galore.

There are several options to plan a trip to the fair without burning a big, gaping hole in your pocket. For starters, you can save on tickets by purchasing them at any Fry’s grocery store. Also, admission is only $1 on opening day.

“”You can park for free. You can plan your trip and get in super inexpensively,”” said Kristi Walsh, marketing director for the Arizona State Fair.

Walsh said the fair is an important event for Arizona.

“”We believe that what really makes a fair is not just the rides, not just the food, but really that focus on agriculture and livestock,”” she said.

There will also be an array of performers in the 2007 Arizona State Fair Concert Series, including Gretchen Wilson, Daughtry, “”Weird Al”” Yankovic, Rihanna, Alice Cooper and Kid Rock.

“”We try to get a really good variety of acts,”” Walsh said.

Food is another large aspect of the fair experience. Attendees this year can munch on rattlesnake, roasted peaches, stuffed pretzels, German apple cake and chicken salad croissants.

“”We have a lot of great food vendors who like to come up with new things every year so that we can tell the public about it,”” Walsh said. “”Everyone is always looking for that new deep-fried thing on a stick.””

The Arizona State Fair was first held in 1884 as a territorial fair, as Arizona was not yet a state.

“”I think that maintaining the tradition of bringing the coolest ideas together in one location with agriculture, livestock, even high-tech rides, still (makes the Arizona State Fair) a great place for all of Arizona to get together and learn from each other,”” Walsh said.