Soccer salvages weekend with late tie against Huskies

Tyler Baker
Tyler Baker / The Daily Wildcat UA Junior Alexandra Doller scores against the Washington Huskies during the second half of the game. UA Soccer tied Washington 2-2 in double overtime Sunday afternoon.

In front of a home crowd for the first time in almost a month, Arizona soccer played an up-and-down two games over the weekend, losing to Washington State on Friday before drawing Washington on Sunday.

Sunday’s contest was a back and forth affair that saw Arizona (7-6-4, 2-6-1 Pac-12) make a late comeback despite falling behind two goals to the Washington Huskies. While the Wildcats seemingly dominated the game from the opening whistle, outshooting the Huskies 22-7 overall, Washington’s Kate Bennett and Havana McElvaine made it 2-0, with both goals coming against the run of play.

Arizona finally got on the board when forward Alexandra Doller scored her sixth goal of the season and cut the Huskies’ lead in half in the 64th minute. Doller’s goal shifted the game’s momentum in the Wildcats’ favor and they took advantage later when forward Kaitlyn Lopez knocked in her fifth goal of the season with only 16 seconds remaining in the game.

The overtime-forcing goal came off a flip throw in from midfielder Jaden DeGracie. Both teams created a few opportunities in overtime but neither was able to take advantage, including the Wildcats, who just missed the golden goal with seconds left.

“We were coming off a really tough loss so we had to come in to today’s game thinking positive and optimistic,” Doller said. “We had to work really hard and do our best in order to get back on a winning streak.”

On Friday afternoon, the Wildcats played what was likely their worst game of the season, losing 4-0 to Washington State in a game that was dominated by the Cougars in the second half. Trailing only by a goal at half, Arizona was still very much in the game but that changed quickly in just a matter of moments when the Wildcats failed to defend the Cougars’ set pieces.

Washington State midfielder and team captain Nicole Setterlund scored two goals off corner kicks in the 53rd and 56th minute when the Wildcats were unable to clear the ball out of the penalty area. The Cougars added another goal from a free kick in the 67th minute.

“They competed harder than us,” said head coach Tony Amato. “We know if we do not compete and battle and bring more energy than the other team, it’s going to be a long afternoon.”

Next weekend, the Wildcats continue their home stand when they take on Utah and Colorado.

— Follow Brian Peel @BrianPeel91