Senior Wildcat Wadhams talks transition, top ten ranking

Keenan+Turner+%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AForward+Jeffrey+Wadhams+skates+with+the+puck+towards+the+goal+against+Delaware+on+Saturday+at+the+TCC.++
Keenan Turner
Keenan Turner / The Daily Wildcat Forward Jeffrey Wadhams skates with the puck towards the goal against Delaware on Saturday at the TCC.

Wildcat hockey senior forward Jeffrey Wadhams is one of four players on the roster to have played on the former ACHA hockey program at the UA called “Icecats.”

In 10 games this season, Wadhams earned three total points from one goal with a pair of assists. Thus far in his career at Arizona, the veteran winger has accumulated 19 points on four goals and 15 assists.

The Daily Wildcat sat down with Wadhams to get a taste of what being a senior hockey player at the UA is like.

Daily Wildcat: How does it feel to be a part of the first Arizona hockey team ranked in the top 10 of the ACHA polls since 2006?

Wadhams: It’s nice. I’ve been here since the 2010-11 season and it’s definitely been a long road since then to get to where we are today. It’s definitely a sense of accomplishment.

What makes your senior class so special?

I think because we’ve seen it all here. We were here before the transition, during the transition and now after the transition of the coaching staff. Because of that I think we’ve been really close; we had to come together after our freshman year wanting change. Just going through that battle together, getting a new [head] coach [Sean Hogan], adjusting to him and just working hard together with the new things he’s implemented into the program. So I think that’s why we’re unique.

What emotions did you have coming back to the Tucson Convention Center for the home opener last weekend?

It was a long grind the first four weeks of the season, so it’s always nice to come home and play in front of your fans, especially with the fans we have. As for the emotions, I can’t really describe it — you’re nervous, excited, anxious, maybe even a little scared [laughs]. For the older guys it’s a reunion and just a sense of relief to be playing back at the TCC again.

What’s the best part about attending the UA, apart from playing hockey here?

The quality of character of people you meet when you’re networking. There’s just good people here. I have a lot of really good close friends here that don’t put on a uniform with me every Friday and Saturday night.

Who is your celebrity crush?

Kate Mara, ever since I saw the movie “Shooter.” In the scene where she’s holding a shotgun, ever since she’s been my celebrity crush. She’s got just a bra on and she’s holding a shotgun and it’s just awesome [laughs].

—Follow Joey Putrelo @JoeyPutrelo