“Grizzly Bear’s Veckatimest album elaborate, emotive”

The art rock perfectionists, Grizzly Bear, try their hand at listener-friendly music in their new album Veckatimest. Already championing moody soundscapes in their previous album Yellow House, the four polite Brooklynites go a step further and inject some vintage pop structure into their typically convoluted style.

The music is very cerebral and can feel alienating if not boring during the first couple of listens. There are many sounds that try to inhabit each song. Intricate vocal harmonies take the forefront of constant transitions between multi-instrumental arrangements, a youth choir, and clamoring rock climaxes.

Though there are these overly ornate arrangements, the highlights of Veckatimest more than make up for it. “”Two Weeks”” is an almost godly tune with rolling drums, upbeat piano, and neo-choirboy vocals while “”While You Wait For The Others”” sounds like a restrained and beautiful version of something taken directly out of the 1970s progressive rock scene.

Overall, Veckatimest is a dramatic, haunting, and beautiful production from start to finish. Play the album from the beginning and become enchanted by the hints of emotion, even in an initially detached song like “”All We Ask.”” Veckatimest will eventually have your heart breaking and your mouth singing, “”I can’t/get out/what I’m into/with you.””

Grade: B+