Police Beat: Jan. 18

Traffic stop yields underage drinkers

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol at 1:07 p.m. on Thursday when they noticed a silver Mazda heading north on Tyndall Avenue with its high beam lights on. The officers pulled over the Mazda, which was occupied by two male UA students. As the officers approached the car, the students rolled down the windows. Both officers could smell alcohol from either side of the car. One officer asked the driver to step out of the car to test his alcohol level, while the passenger gave his identification to the other officer. The second officer noticed another form of ID in the student’s wallet and asked for that one as well. The officer saw the birthday had been changed to make the student appear older than 21. The students were charged with underage drinking and one of the students was charged for possessing a fictitious license.

Watch stolen from locker

UAPD officers went to McKale Center after a UA student-athlete reported a lost $300 DKNY watch on Thursday morning. She said she placed her watch in her personal locker before leaving the premises. There was no lock on the locker, but the room it was in required a passcode to enter. Officers investigated the door and the surrounding areas, but they did not come up with any evidence to show that the door had been forced open. There are no cameras in the area. The watch was black and made of ceramic and metal, with a big face surrounded by crystals. UAPD advised all athletes with lockers in the room to use locks on the lockers and to not bring valuable items into the room.

Sky View car theft

UAPD officers met with a student who said his 1995 Nissan Maxima had been stolen from the parking lot of the Sky View Apartments on Jan. 11. The student stated that he had parked his gold car at the apartment complex the day before. He did not know of any witnesses or suspects nor did he give anyone permission to take the car off of the premises. UAPD officers searched the surrounding areas for evidence and found a security camera. Officers also searched the surrounding streets for the car, but have not found it.

Ousted from Oregon State game

A heavily intoxicated UA student was thrown out of the Arizona men’s basketball game against Oregon State University on Thursday. UAPD officers went to McKale Center to examine the man, who was out front. The employees said the student was incoherent, slurring his words and had become combative toward surrounding students, which is why employees were forced to throw the student out. Officers interrogated the student and he admitted he had been drinking heavily before the game. Officers also noticed a strong smell of alcohol coming from his breath. He was searched for alcohol, but officers did not find any. The student was cited and released, but was told not to enter the game again.