Internation Boys and Men’s Choral Festival comes to UA

This Sunday, the UA’s Crowder Hall will erupt with the soothing and exciting sounds of the International Boys and Men’s Choral Festival.

The festival will feature choirs from Hong Kong to Estonia and will have individual singers from all over the world. Male singers of all ages will have the opportunity to refine their vocal skills under the guidance of world-renowned choral directors.
    One of these directors is Dr. Julian Ackerley, a UA alum who earned his bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees from the University of Arizona School of Music. Ackerley is the director of the Tucson Arizona Boys Chorus, and under his direction, the chorus has toured Europe, Africa, Asia and North America and created numerous best-selling recordings.

“It’s sure to be a great afternoon of great choral music, cultural diversity, and family fun,” Ackerley said.
    The first half of the performance will feature choirs hailing from China, Estonia and the United States. The singers will then perform as combined boys and men’s choirs. The finale will be a combined choir featuring all the performers. The festival will feature challenging pieces from many genres of music including classical, contemporary, gospel and western.

Building off the success from the inaugural 2011 event, the eight-day festival begins in Flagstaff, Ariz., at the Northern Arizona University campus. The talented musicians will have the opportunity to form lasting friendships and create international camaraderie as they practice for their first performance on Friday night at NAU. The festival won’t be all work and no play; performers will have the opportunity to experience the natural beauty of Arizona through a visit to the Grand Canyon.
    “This festival is designed to celebrate male singing at all levels,” Ackerley said, “We hope to make beautiful music and great friends.”

The festival’s final performance will be at the UA’s Crowder Hall on Sunday at 3 p.m. Tickets are $15 and discounts are available for students, seniors and children under 12. Tickets can be purchased by calling (520)-733-0927 or by visiting the Tucson Arizona Boys Chorus website.