Women’s tennis in need of confidence boost

UA junior Juliette Mavroleon hits a backhand in the Arizona womens tennis teams win over Washington State Feb. 16 at Robson Tennis Center. After losing 7-0 at both UCLA and USC last weekend, including the first loss of the season for the No. 3 doubles team of Mavroleon and freshman Katie Orletsky, the Wildcats host Cornell today at 2 p.m.
    UA junior Juliette Mavroleon hits a backhand in the Arizona women’s tennis team’s win over Washington State Feb. 16 at Robson Tennis Center. After losing 7-0 at both UCLA and USC last weekend, including the first loss of the season for the No. 3 doubles team of Mavroleon and freshman Katie Orletsky, the Wildcats host Cornell today at 2 p.m.

With nothing but conference opponents remaining after today, No. 32 Arizona will have one last chance to regain its confidence when the team hosts No. 73 Cornell at 2 p.m. at the Robson Tennis Center.

The Wildcats (7-7) are in much need of a confidence boost after getting swept by UCLA and USC last weekend in Los Angeles. The losses marked the first time this season Arizona failed to win a match. Also, the No. 3 doubles team of junior Juliette Mavroleon and freshman Katie Orletsky fell for the first time this year, snapping a 7-match winning streak.

The losses “”knocked down a little bit of confidence,”” Mavroleon said. “”We did lose 7-0 both days. It’s tough, but that’s just what the Pac-10 is like.””

The Pacific 10 Conference is indeed tough, as four conference teams are ranked among the top 15 in the nation. In fact, it is these four teams that currently make up the four conference losses the Wildcats have on their record this season.

Because of this stiff competition, UA head coach Vicky Maes feels it is good to schedule weaker, nonconference matches like Cornell (6-1) throughout the season.

“”It is important for us to play nonconference matches because our conference is so tough,”” she said. “”It is so difficult for the stage that we’re at with our program to get wins in the Pac-10.””

The nonconference matches can also help the team with something else. Since the matches are counted toward team and individual records, wins against these opponents could help toward qualifying for the NCAA Tournament at the end of the year, which is based upon overall season record.

“”Those nonconference matches really count a lot because they’ll end up determining whether we make it to the NCAA Tournament or not.””
    – Vicky Maes,
    UA head coach

“”Those nonconference matches really count a lot because they’ll end up determining whether we make it to the NCAA Tournament or not,”” Maes said.

As far as the reason for scheduling Cornell, Maes said she is expecting the match to help the Wildcats regain their poise at a time when they desperately need it.

“”Playing Cornell is good for us because we just came off a pretty mediocre weekend where morale was low, intensity was low,”” she said. “”It gives us a chance to get back on track right before we get ready to play ASU.””

Consistency has been a struggle for Arizona throughout the season. Maes said the team is still waiting for a match in which everybody shows up and plays well. That’s one thing Maes hopes she will see today in her team’s final nonconference showdown.

“”I’d like to see a good, solid all-around performance against Cornell,”” she said.