“UA offers voters info, poll shuttle for Election Day”

Joshua Cohen, a senior majoring in accounting and entrepreneurship, attends the early voting station at the Associated Students of the University of Arizona office Friday in the Student Union Memorial Center.

College-age voters are expected to reach record numbers during today’s mid-term election, according to a national poll released by Harvard University’s Institute of Politics.

Thirty-two percent of the 18- to 24-year-old group said they would definitely be voting in today’s election.

“”Its been obvious to me that students are engaged and enthusiastic about voting,”” said Serena Unrein, interim executive director for the Arizona Students’ Association.

The polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. today. Voters in line at 7 p.m. will be permitted to vote, Unrein said.

Anyone on campus from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. can take advantage of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona’s shuttle service. The shuttle will pick up voters in front of the Old Main fountain, said Matthew Boepple, an ASA director.

The shuttle service can also help voters find their precinct and will have copies of the ASA 2006 Voters’ Guide, Beopple said.

Voters who have not mailed out an early ballot can still turn the ballot in to any polling site in the county. All stations will be accepting these signed and sealed ballots, and no ID is required to turn them in, Unrein said.

ASA and the ASUA have been working together to increase the number of student voters on the UA campus. The organizations will be on the UA Mall today to answer any questions people may have on voting issues, including where their polling site is and what forms of ID they may need.

Don’t Forget…

The following are acceptable forms of identification to vote:

• Utility bill with the voter’s current address dated within 90 days of the day of the election
    • Bank or credit union statement dated within 90 days of the day of the election.
    • Valid Arizona vehicle registration
    • Vehicle insurance card
    • Indian census card
    • Tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification
    • Property tax statement for the voter’s residence
    • Valid U.S. federal, state or local government-issued identification
    • Voter registration card/recorder’s certificate
    • Any official election material mailing that bears the voter’s name and address

If voters still have questions about acceptable IDs, call the Pima County Division of Elections at 740-4260.

The New Voters Project will also be out on the Mall today, said Michelle Moran, a member of the group and an economics junior. During their campaign, they registered over 1,000 people to vote in the campus area, she said.

The New Voters Project will be handing out information on propositions alongside ASUA, whothey have been working with on the project.

“”There are a lot of propositions on the ballot this year, so come prepared,”” Moran said.

Voters can find their polling stations on the Pima County Recorder’s Office Web site, www.recorder.pima.gov. Selecting “”Polling/Voter Info”” will bring up a screen where the voter can enter his or her address and find district information and location of the correct polling station.

Proper identification is a new voter requirement that will be enforced this year as a result of Proposition 200, which was passed in 2004.

There are two ways to show ID at the polling station, according to the Pima County Division of Elections Web site.

Voters will be required to show a photo ID that includes their name and address. If they cannot produce a photo ID, the voter will need to show two forms with their name and address on both.

Any voters not able to provide the polling station with identification will be given a provisional ballot that will be held for five days. The voter will have that time to provide the county recorder with sufficient ID in order for their ballot to be counted.