Police Beat

Unknown assailants injure man

Police responded to the University Medical Center emergency room after a man was assaulted on Jan. 23 at 1:59 a.m.

Police were called to UMC after nurses and Tucson Police Department officers reported that a man, who was a UA student, had injuries to his head.

They made contact with the man, who said he had just left a party at Delta Tau Delta and was walking eastbound on First Street when an older four-door car stopped near him. He said two men got out of the car and said, “”What’s up,”” before they started to punch and kick him. After a few seconds they stopped, ran back to the car, and left the area.

The man said he did not exchange words with the men and none of his things were stolen. He had a gash over his right eye and on the top of his head.

The man told officers he did not recognize the other men and he had no enemies. He also said he did not get a good look at the men who assaulted him.

There are no suspects or witnesses.

Belligerent man cited for littering

A man was arrested for littering and drinking in public Jan. 23 at 12:05 a.m.

Police responded to the area near the administrative garage in reference to several people drinking alcohol in public.

When they approached the scene, police saw four people walking on the bike path south of Second Street and Highland Avenue. Police saw that one of the people was holding a bottle of beer. The person threw it into a nearby bush when they saw police approaching.

All four people were told to sit on a wall near the area. One of the men was very uncooperative and refused to sit down. He looked at one of the officers and said, “”Put the lotion in the basket.””

The man showed signs of being intoxicated He and continued to be uncooperative, so he was placed in handcuffs and put in a patrol car.

Police spoke to the other three people about drinking in public and the UA policy rregarding it. All three were of legal drinking age.

Police then went to the area where the man threw the bottle. They found three bottles, opened and half full, and a six-pack cardboard container with two unopened bottles.

The officers did not see who the other two bottles belonged to, so the three who complied with officers were released.

The officers told the man about the charges for which they were planning on arresting him, and he said, “”You saw me throw the bottle?””

A woman who was with the group attempted to plead with officers not to take the man to jail. She told them, “”He doesn’t mean to be a jerk. His dad is a lawyer so he thinks he knows everything but he’s really just a huge jackass.”” Police asked the woman to step away from the vehicle several times before she left the scene.

The man was placed under arrest for criminal littering and drinking in public. He was taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked on the charges.

Man in tent breaks Protection Order

A man was arrested on charges of interfering with judicial proceedings Jan. 24 at 6:39 p.m.

While patrolling the area of Eighth Street and Tyndall Avenue, an officer observed a tent pitched around the high school wash, located between Seventh and Eighth streets on Tyndall Avenue. There are no trespassing signs located on the east and west sides of the wash.

Two officers entered the wash on foot and approached the tent. Inside were two people, a woman and a man, who identified themselves to officers.

The woman told officers that she and the man were there to “”enjoy the day together.””

A records check of the woman showed she has a Protection Order against the man. The man told officers that he was aware of the Protection Order against him, but he thought the woman was going to have it dropped. The woman told officers that she wanted to drop the Protection Order so that she and the man could be together, but she had not done so yet.

The Protection Order was confirmed and valid through October 2009 by the Pima County Sheriff’s Office.

The woman was asked to leave the scene. The man was cited and released for interfering with judicial proceedings.

Angry resident disturbs the peace

Police were called to restore the peace in a dorm Jan. 24 at 4:34 a.m.

Police responded to the Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall in reference to disturbance. A resident assistant called officers and said that he had come across a loud party at the hall and asked the individuals to quiet down. One of the men got angry and would not leave the RA alone, after he was told repeatedly to quiet down and go to his room.

Police spoke with the man, who said he was angry because he knew that the slightest infraction would get him “”kicked out”” of the dorm.

The RA said that the man called him a derogatory name, but he did not want to do anything but get him to stop yelling, go to his room, and have the incident documented.

When peace was restored, the police left.