A check on where former Wildcats are still playing

Beau Leone

Shawn Poindexter takes a chug of water during his pre-NFL Draft workout at Arizona Stadium in March 2019.

Class of 2019

P.J. Johnson – Johnson, the only senior drafted in the 2019 NFL Draft, was selected by the Detroit Lions in the 7th round with the 229th pick. After a stellar season with the Wildcats as a defensive tackle, Johnson looks to make the practice squad, as he has veteran Damon Harrison and A’Shawn Robinson ahead of him, but with continued reps in the preseason games, he should be a sure candidate for the practice squad. 

Shawn Poindexter – After going undrafted in the 2019 NFL Draft, Poindexter signed as an undrafted free agent with the San Francisco 49ers. Poindexter, a receiver, looks to make an impact in the receiving corps, as he delivers something none of them bring to the table: height. The 49ers struggled in red-zone efficiency last year so we could see him used in the red-zone, if he makes the team after the conclusion of the preseason.  

Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles – As an undrafted free agent, Flannigan-Fowles also signed with the San Francisco 49ers, joining fellow Wildcat, WR Shawn Poindexter. The 49ers aren’t in need of a strong safety, which is what Flannigan-Fowles plays, but we could see him there if the 49ers do move over Jaquiski Tartt to free safety. If Flannigan-Fowles shines on special teams and in the reps he’s given at strong safety in the preseason, we could see him making the cut. 

Nick Reinhardt – Reinhardt, also an undrafted free agent, signed a contract with the Cleveland Browns after the 2019 NFL Draft. Reinhardt, a longsnapper, will look to be the backup for Charley Hughlett. 

Class of 2018

Dane Cruikshank – Cruikshank was drafted in the 5th round in the 2018 NFL Draft, with the 152nd pick. Cruikshank, a strong safety, looks to contribute after having 10 tackles last season, as well as one of the best trick plays last year, after reeling in a 66-yard touchdown reception on a fake punt against the Houston Texans. Cruikshank looks to be the 2nd string strong safety behind Kenny Vaccaro, one of the main leaders on the Titans defensive squad. 

Gerhard de Beer – de Beer was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2018 to the Buffalo Bills, but was released after the end of the season. During this past offseason, de Beer, an offensive tackle, was signed to the Green Bay Packers. de Beer is slated to be the 2nd string right tackle behind All-Pro Bryan Bulaga this season. 

RELATED: Familiar and fresh faces: Meet the coaching staff of Arizona Football

Class of 2017

Trey Griffey – Griffey, a receiver, has been on the Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad for the past two seasons now, after bouncing around on both the Indianapolis Colts in 2017 and Miami Dolphins in 2017. Griffey looks to be the fifth string WR on the depth chart this season, mainly on the practice squad, but we could see his play time bumped up if we see injuries stack up for the Steelers this year. 

Class of 2016

William Parks – Parks, who was selected in the 6th round in the 2016 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos, has played for the Broncos for 4 years now, racking up 111 total tackles within the last four years. Parks, a free safety, is second on the depth chart behind Justin Simmons, who started all 16 games for the Broncos in the 2018 season. 

Reggie Gilbert – Gilbert, an outside linebacker for the Green Bay Packers, was signed as an undrafted free agent in the 2016 NFL Draft. Gilbert remained on the practice squad until called up to the active roster in the 2017 season, and saw increased playing time in the 2018 season. Gilbert last year had 37 tackles and 2.5 sacks, and this year is slated as a third string OLB. 

Class of 2014

Marquis Flowers – Flowers, a middle linebacker, has played for five teams since being selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the 6th round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He has played for the Bengals in 2014 and 2016, then played for the New England Patriots in 2017, then last year played for the Detroit Lions, and now is slated to be the third string MLB for the Washington Redskins this year. Flowers has played in 53 total games since 2014, with 46 total tackles. His 2017 season was his best, as he racked up 31 tackles with the Patriots. 

Follow Austin Wales on Twitter