The Indiana Pacers select Bennedict Mathurin with the 6th pick in the 2022 NBA draft

Nathanial Stenchever

Bennedict Mathurin, a guard on the Arizona men’s basketball team, points to the sky after hitting a three-point shot on Saturday, Feb. 19 in McKale Center. The Wildcats would go on to win the final second of the game 84-81. 

The Indiana Pacers have selected former University of Arizona guard Bennedict Mathurin with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2022 NBA draft.

Mathurin is the highest player drafted from Arizona since the 2018 draft when the Phoenix Suns drafted Deandre Ayton No.1 overall.

Mathurin played two seasons in Tucson and developed into a star player as a sophomore this season, averaging 17.7 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game while shooting 45% from the field and 37% from 3-point range. He won the Pac-12 Player of the Year award while being a second team All-American and on the Pac-12 first team.

RELATED: From three-star recruit to the NBA, Christian Koloko is taking his game to the next level

Mathurin will be a good fit next to guards Tyrese Haliburton and Malcolm Brogdon because of his versatility and ability to effect the game with his 3-point shooting and defensive upside.

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter