Club Olympic games kick off

Time to show school spirit by cheering on the annual Club Olympics, which will be on the UA Mall beginning today.

Club Olympics allows clubs and organizations around the UA to compete in different games and possibly earn more club funds.

The money they earn can be used toward any club or organization event within club funding guidelines, said Jessica Anderson, Associated Students of the University of Arizona executive vice president.

This year the Olympics event is co-sponsored by ASUA and Bobcats Senior Honorary.

Every day this week, students can go down to the Mall between 12-1 p.m. to cheer on a club or organization. The more support they get, the more likely they are to win, Anderson said.

There will be three big winners for Club Olympics, earning a cash prize of $1,000 for first place, $500 for second place and $250 for third place. The clubs will be judged on four events daily, she said.

Members of ASUA, Bobcats and Zona Zoo will judge the clubs and organizations based on varying criteria, for example who is the most spirited team of the day, how much red members are wearing, if members paint their faces and how each places in Wildcat Trivia and the event of the day, she said.

Last year, Arizona Allegiance came in second place and won more than $400 to put toward T-shirts, said Kelsey Hawes, president of Arizona Allegiance.

“”I am encouraging everyone from Arizona Allegiance to come out to the Mall and participate,”” Hawes said. “”It is a lot of fun.””

She is looking forward to Mud Tug-o-War and hoping her club will earn the first prize.

Katie Hundere, director of Freshman Class Council, plans to have the FCC out there again this year.

Although she said the timing of the events is hard on members of the club, she expects everyone to be out there on Thursday for Mud Tug-o-War.

“”FCC has never done Mud Tug-o-War and our goal is to do the best we can,”” she said. “”However, my secret goal is to win Mud Tug-o-War.””

Mud Tug-o-War is the oldest Mall event at the UA and continues to make an appearance because so many people enjoy it, said Bobcats president Devin Sreecharana.

The first place winners of the event will not only earn the points to win the big prize, he said, but they will get a free meal at Chipotle for being out there and participating.

A new event to the Olympics is a pie-eating contest, Sreecharana said. The pie will probably be pudding filled with whip cream, “”because it is easy to get down.””

A surprise for teams is that there will be additional winners aside from the top three teams, Sreecharana said. Team members will not win money, but will get gift certificates to something near the UA.

After a week of club spirit, the winners of Club Olympics will be announced Friday at 6 p.m. at the Bear Down Fridays event, Anderson said.

The week will not end there, however. On the Mall Friday in front of the Administration building, there will be a free concert at 7 p.m. and a bonfire at 8 p.m.

During the bonfire, the Homecoming Queen and King will be crowned.

“”We (Bobcats) have worked really hard this year to make the bonfire event a lot bigger,”” Sreecharana said. “”It will be a good time and there will be free food and drinks. Everyone is invited, we are hoping for a good turn out.””

Club Olympics:
    Schedule of events

Events are from noon to 1 p.m. on the UA Mall

Monday:
    Wildcat Trivia, Human Foosball
    Concert on mall: Kelley James
    Tuesday:
    Wildcat Trivia, Wilbur’s
    Wacky Relay
    Wednesday:
    Wildcat Trivia, Pie Eating Contest
    Thursday:
    Wildcat Trivia, Mud Tug-o-War
    Friday:
    Cheer Competition, Dunk Tank
    Concert on mall: My Former Wings

Bear Down Fridays stage schedule:

Winners of Olympics announced at 6 p.m.

-event listings courtesy of homecoming club olympics