Police Beat

Man cited on shoplifting, damage charges

A man was cited and released for two charges at the UA bookstore on March 31 at 2:55 p.m.

Police responded to the bookstore in reference to a shoplifter in custody. Upon arrival, police made contact with a store security guard who said that a man had walked out of the store with a pair of Sony ear buds and an IPod power adaptor without paying for them. The employee also told police that the man had removed the barcode from the ear bud container, making the item unsellable.

Police made contact with the man who told them, “”I stole the stuff.”” When asked why he did it the man said, “”I thought I could get away with it.”” The man had no money on him and said that he had a little less than $50 in his bank account. He also told police that he had removed the barcode from the package.

The man was cited and released for shoplifting and criminal damage. He was also referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Porn viewer arrested on out-of-state felony charge

Police arrested a man for an outstanding felony warrant and charged him with being a fugitive from out-of-state on March 31 at 12:32 p.m.

Police responded to the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center in reference to a suspicious man watching pornography on one of the computers. When they arrived, police spoke with a staff member who said that the man had been at one of the computers for four or five hours watching pornography.

Police made contact with the man who admitted to watching pornography on the computer. He then gave police his name and said that he had arrived in Arizona from Texas two months ago. Police checked the man’s name and social security number and found that he had an outstanding felony warrant from the El Paso Sheriff’s Department for sexual assault with full extradition.

The man was transported to the Pima County Jail where he was booked andcharged with being a fugitive from out-of-state.

Trespassing to do farm chores?

Police responded to call about a suspicious person on March 31 at 6 a.m. at the West Campus Agricultural Center.

When they arrived, police made contact with the farm manager. He said that between March 30 at 10 p.m. and March 31 at 6 a.m., an unknown person climbed the fence near the main gate and entered the facility. Footprints were found from the gate to the mill and around several vehicles and ATVs. There was no damage done to the vehicles.

The man said that the footprints led to the cattle pens where four bales of hay were missing. The man also said that the hay had been fed to the cattle. The hay had been put in the pens and there were footprints around it.

The man said that a large amount of hay could make the cows “”bloat”” and possibly die. He wanted the incident documented since April is Animal Right