Chase Davis hits walk-off home run to lift Arizona baseball over Arizona State

Nathanial Stenchever

Tanner O’Tremba, an outfielder on the Arizona baseball team, hits a ball at his first at bat on April 22 at Hi Corbett field. The Wildcats would win in extra innings 7-6.

The Arizona baseball team defeated Arizona State 7-6 in 10 innings in front of a packed house at Hi Corbett Field Friday night. 

Here are a handful of key stats from the win for the Wildcats. 

3-16 RISP and 14 runners left on base:

The Wildcats immediately loaded the bases in the first inning, but came up empty with a strikeout, fielder’s choice and ground out. They then put runners on second and third base to open the second inning. It looked like they might come empty again when Garen Caulfield struck out and Nik McClaughry hit a short fly ball, but Tanner O’Tremba came through with a two out, 2-run single to put Arizona on the board. Arizona left the bases loaded in the third inning as well.

Five wild pitches in fifth inning:

It was quite the fifth inning for Arizona pitchers. Starter TJ Nichols and reliever Holden Christian combined for five wild pitches, which led to two runs for the Sun Devils. The frame also included three walks and a hit batter. 

Three RBIs by Tanner O’Tremba:

Along with O’Tremba’s 2-run single in the second inning as mentioned above, he was also hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the third inning which brought in a run. 

RELATED: Arizona baseball team sweeps Creighton in quick two-game set

Multi-hit games by four Arizona hitters:

Cameron LaLiberte led the team with three hits, collecting a double and two singles. Nik McClaughry, Tanner O’Tremba and Tony Bullard each collected two hits with the Wildcats recording 14 hits as a team. 

Walk-off home run by Chase Davis:

The moment of the night was Davis launching a walk-off home run in the 10th inning to win the game for Arizona.

Davis said post-game that was the first walk-off home run he has ever hit.

“That was a good time to have it,” Davis said. “No one knows that was my first one, so just hearing all our fans, our biggest supporters behind us is really awesome. It was a packed house, so shout out to all the fans for coming out.” 

Game two of this series is scheduled for 5 p.m. MST Saturday night. 

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter